CCleaner Drive Wiper option spends much time for erase a USB device

• Moderators

Me again, unfortunately. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding of what wiping the entire drive entails. The partition will be reformatted to its original file system type and then the free space will be wiped. Now I don't know how long that would expect to take (nor do I have any idea of CC's internal workings) but probably longer than some other wiping software. Also the time estimate is a guess, if a piece of software can guess, so the actual time taken may differ.

That is very important for me! I work with confidential files always encrypted with GPG and an RCA key with 4096 bits. By security, I always decrypts the files on the USB drive, NOT on public or private computer or on my notebook. Therefore, deleted decrypted files are always in just one place: the USB drive. However, I need to clean free space (or entire drive) of USB drive from to time to time to erase the deleted decrypted files! Time is very important for me. I can not always wait one hour to clean my USB drive. This is the problem: Time!

From your statement, I can conclude that the "Eraser" fooling me "formatting" my USB drive in only 6 minutes with the configuration below?

post-51918-0-91141200-1307196603_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

I have no real idea what Eraser does. From your pics, it appears that you are asking CCleaner to erase an entire drive (i.e. format then wipe free space), and asking Eraser to overwrite free space (i.e leave all live files in place). These are two different tasks and CC will take longer than Eraser. You can change the CC settings to wipe free space only.

You can then ask CC to wipe free space, or you can use Eraser. It's entirely up to you.

As you are concerned about security at a high level you will have to decide whether wipe free space is sufficient for your needs. I suggest you read the Eraser developer's last two posts at the end of the Heidi thread you linked to in your other topic, and note his comment that 'Only the manufacturer can release applications to sanitise blocks.'

That is very important for me! I work with confidential files always encrypted with GPG and an RCA key with 4096 bits. By security, I always decrypts the files on the USB drive

Why decrypt to USB ?

What is wrong with RAM ?

I believe TrueCrypt will decrypt to some sort of virtual drive,

and when you have finished accessing/modifying they are encrypted and go back into the TrueCrypt container,

and the disc sectors will never have seen the decrypted files unless you copied from virtual to disc.

Why decrypt to USB ?

What is wrong with RAM ?

I believe TrueCrypt will decrypt to some sort of virtual drive,

and when you have finished accessing/modifying they are encrypted and go back into the TrueCrypt container,

and the disc sectors will never have seen the decrypted files unless you copied from virtual to disc.

I never used the TrueCrypt, but I will search about it!

As you are concerned about security at a high level you will have to decide whether wipe free space is sufficient for your needs. I suggest you read the Eraser developer's last two posts at the end of the Heidi thread you linked to in your other topic, and note his comment that 'Only the manufacturer can release applications to sanitise blocks.'

Flash memories are used in SSD? I began a change in my mind...

Thank you for your help!