Windows 8 UI

ishan_rulz

What do you guys think of this?

Apparently, the same UI is going to be used cross-platform. Users will have an option to use it on a regular non-touch PC as well.

Simplicity is hard.

It looks a lot like Windows Phone 7, which I very much dislike. It certainly is different, but I'll reserve final judgment until I've actually used it.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I am not a fan of the Metro UI. I have used WP7, and I can truthfully say, i dislike it. I wish Microsoft would have incorporated less of the Metro UI into Windows 8. I am a big fan of the Windows 7 UI. I think its clean and streamlined. This UI, in my opinion, is really ugly and unprofessional. I know people who love it, but i cant honestly say i like it at all.

• Moderators

I think it looks pretty cool. You can still get a full blown windows desktop(which it shows on that video).

This might be a cool way for MS to come out with a tablet similar to apple's but still give users the functionality of a full OS. (which Ios is definitely not.)

I love windows 7 so I'm at least open to try it.

I think I'll wait for the BUILD conference before making any judgement ; the Aero theme is probably going to be Metro-ified too.

Piriform French translator

My view is, way to go for the sales & marketing Dept.....looks good for the Tablet industry, NBG for desktops.

Boy have I got some work ahead of me now, as I have just commenced "Tutoring" residents at the aged care home that I volunteer at and believe it or not but the Australian Federal Governments "Broadband for Seniors" PC's just delivered (3 weeks ago) are all running on Vista..........Soooooo........Win 7, then Win 8..........I'll still be volunteering when I'm 100...ah well just think of the changes I will have experienced since IBM DOS 3.0 :blink:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys think of this?

Apparently, the same UI is going to be used cross-platform. Users will have an option to use it on a regular non-touch PC as well.

This doesn't make sense.

There are privacy issues already in Windows.

Windows would be better off to fix their security issues, or even to go open source so everyone can see & fix their system.

Patch suggestions could be sent in to a developer team for review.

Current rate of windows bloat/complexity dictates that eventually, no-one will want to use a computer, because besides the trouble in setting it up, users will have the following to do:

- Enter name

- Enter company name

- Enter network name

- Enter company name

- Enter product key

- Select your locale (GMT/EST/etc)

- Choose a name for your profile

- Set a password

- Select an icon

- Select your updates

- Install the latest IE/Updates/Media Player/Flash Player/Java/etc

- Connect or phone to verify your pc is genuine (WPA/WGA)

- -> (what will they do next? chip users?)

At the current rate, windows is getting so much more complex, so fast, users will be unable to keep up. Will windows XP/Vista/7/8/!?/etc be able to run my apps?

- 32 bit?

- 64 bit?

- 128 bit? (coming)

- 256 bit? (also coming)

I am just tired of all the endless updates.

I think 64 bit is slight overkill, but i like the extra mem support. I don't see a need for 128 bit, or buying a new system every 5 years so I can be broke to run the latest PC + OS + applications + trying to make everything work that the new OS broke that wasn't broke in the old OS.

Perhaps it's time for everyone to jump ship to Ubuntu!

LOL!

• Moderators

Perhaps it's time for everyone to jump ship to Ubuntu!

I've tried it and many other Linux distros, but they simply won't be able to lure me away from Windows anytime soon reason being not Windows itself but the the core software I use and wouldn't do without.

I've tried it and many other Linux distros, but they simply won't be able to lure me away from Windows anytime soon reason being not Windows itself but the the core software I use and wouldn't do without.

I do agree with you on that.

It's just that if they continue to add so much bloat, we might not have an option to later on. I can imagine future setups taking an hour because they want to know "literally" everything about you!

• Moderators

I agree.

Ubuntu needs support for windows style applications (install/run/use) as well as errr, um, a little more simplicity in how it does certain tasks.

Ubuntu needs WAY more than that.

Ubuntu needs to get more hardware manufacturers to support their platform. I have 3 different laptops in my house and have tried ubuntu on all of them, the only one that everything works on is a netbook(as they all use the same atom chipset). The others have problems with everything you can imagine. Network drivers, hibernate, graphics drivers, ect. Not to mention the fact that windows kicks ubuntu's butt when it comes to downscaling the computer to preserve battery. A windows pc lasts way longer on the same hardware/battery.

- Ability to adjust bass/treble controls on your creative cards natively

- Ability to view GIF animations in the default image viewer

- Ability to enlarge smaller images without pixelation

I cant comment on the first one as I don't use creative hardware but the other 2 are not fair accusations.

.GIF files just open in IE9 for me, why would it matter that it doesn't open in the "picture viewer"? It actually makes more sense anyway as .gif is only really for web use anyway.

I don't see how windows 7 could cause pixelated photos. Stretching out a small image is going to cause pixelation on any OS.

Oh, and lets not forget all the anti-copy features they keep building into windows, in an ever increasing attempt to block users from making backups of things they already bought & own.

I copy more dvds and blu rays to put on my laptops than I can count. The only difference is that theirs better software on windows to do it with. :P

If this keeps up, Ubuntu will win, NOT because Windows isn't better, but because it keeps getting harder & harder to get it to do basic tasks you need it to do!

Moore's law dictates that as Windows dumbs down & gets harder to do things, & Ubuntu keeps getting better (& for free too), then eventually, Ubuntu will be what everyone has to use unless they want to spend all their lives updating, buying, tinkering with, & giving all their personal info to Windows... LOL!

The average person is not going to use ubuntu no matter how bad windows gets. Ubuntu is not easier to use than windows, if you believe that than look at their forums and see how many people on there cant even get their hardware working(and just give up) because the only way to do is is to open up the command line. Ubuntu also is lacking anywhere near the support for professional grade software you see on windows/mac. You cant get MS office, photoshop, final cut pro, ect. on Ubuntu.

If you actually follow trends of tech usage you would see that the most common transition from the PCs of the past will probably take form in cell phones, tablets, and other devices. Desktop sales are in a huge decline and while laptops still sell like crazy most companies are now investing heavilly in these devices as they see them as the future.(which is why windows and mac have started to carve out their pieces of the pie). I'm not saying you are going to see the traditional PC die anytime soon, but if you think people are going to leave Windows for Ubuntu then you've been reading too much linux praising on the web. Linux is less than 1% of all PCs.

Moore's law is nothing about what you posted either...

The observation made in 1965 by Gordon Moore, co-founder of Intel, that the number of transistors per square inch on integrated circuits had doubled every year since the integrated circuit was invented. Moore predicted that this trend would continue for the foreseeable future. In subsequent years, the pace slowed down a bit, but data density has doubled approximately every 18 months, and this is the current definition of Moore's Law, which Moore himself has blessed. Most experts, including Moore himself, expect Moore's Law to hold for at least another two decades.

Moore's Law just means computers are going to keep getting faster.