Ccleaner and ISO files

Tru

I had used utorrent to download a ISO dvd file and cancelled in the middle of the download but it stuck to my hard drive. I deleted the file normally and when I went to use Ccleaner it just gets stuck on attempting to clean the ISO file rom the trash bin. ALthough the bin is emptied and shows no sign of the file. Ccleaner now stops and seems to continually attempt to clean the file which isn't visible (though it looks like it is a registry file (C:\Recycle.bin\S-1-5-21-1176558316-4048658495-2065858986-1001\$ROGWB4P\THE_RITE.ISO) Ccleaner does not go beyond attempting to clean this file and stays stuck there until it self cancels the program or I do. Anyone know how I can fix this situation?

• Moderators

Try this, although there's no guarantee it will work:

1. On the hard disk this is happening on right click and create a "New Text Document", then immediately delete it so it goes into the Recycle Bin.

2. Using Windows own built-in Disk Cleanup have it clean the affected drive to see if that fixes the issue.

Other possible solution:

1. Start a command prompt and copy+paste in this:

del /f "C:\Recycle.bin\S-1-5-21-1176558316-4048658495-2065858986-1001\$ROGWB4P\THE_RITE.ISO"

2. Try CCleaner again to see if that fixed the issue.

Andavari,

The name Captain Spectacular suits you well.

The first step didn't work but the second one did.

One question though. Is that ISO file still stuck hidden somewhere on my hard drive?

If so how could I get it wiped?

If you dont know thats ok. I am happy to have Ccleaner back up working again.

Thank you much

Tru

• Moderators

The "Captain Spectacular" thing I grabbed from the Devin Townsend album titled "Ziltoid The Omniscient". It's story-telling Metal music by a brilliant artist/musician.

Since you deleted it to the Recycle Bin it isn't stuck anywhere on your system, it was just stuck in the Recycle Bin which can very rarely happen which was the reason I knew going way back to the Windows 98 era to use a command prompt to get rid of it. Although files just normally deleted by Windows, CCleaner, and other disk cleaning tools just marks the file as deleted and eventually another file will overwrite the space it occupied.

The only way to be certain a deleted file is truly gone is to enable Secure Deletion in CCleaner 'Options->Settings', or to use CCleaner 'Wipe Free Space' which actually works very well - see the CCleaner documentation to learn how to use these. Don't however use Wipe Free Space on a modern SSD drive, there's enough topics on the forums that explain why not to! Or use Recuva to secure delete the file. This will work as long as the file isn't resident in the MFT area.

Cool but if you don't mind my ignorance what is a modern ssd drive exactly? What happens if you wipe it? Reason I ask is cause I did exactly that on my acer 1 terabyt hd with windows ultimate 64 bit which is when the problem came up with the iso file getting stuck in the recycle bin. hmmm, I think my mouse is running faster than my brain lol Thanks for the assist.

• Moderators

This is what SSD is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

For reasons to not wipe the free space on an SSD drive I'd recommend browsing through these forums, good places to start off:

* http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=28431

* http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=28349

...and of course a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ssd+wipe+free+space