The new Version 3.07.1457 collapsed Windows

I used CCleaner for many years very often, however, the last Version 3.07.1457 collapsed Windows XP that I had to use a hard shut down of my PC. I tried to install CCleaner several times but it does not work, I had to unistall it.

I have Dell Latitude D620, WinXP SP3.

Is there any solution how to use this program?

Siempre remitir a ma?ana lo que puedes hacer hoy

• Moderators

Hi Cumbuch, and welcome to the forum.

By collapsing Windows I assume you mean Windows "froze"? Or did you get a black screen? Any error messages popping up?

A clearer description of exactly what happened would help, plus did you just run the temp file cleaner, or did you run the registry "Issues" clean as well?

Has doing a hard reset fixed things? Can you still shut down and reboot as normal now?

If all is now OK, then make sure there aren't any remnants in the "C:\Program Files\CCleaner" folder, and then maybe try installing the previous version and see if it will at least install for you.

Previous Versions:

You can hold back on the last suggestion if you'd prefer until you post back.

I installed 3.07 version again and here is the result:

After installation, deleting cookies started automatically, then I closed CCleaner without starting any analysis or cleaning.

After that I tried to open Windows Explorer, but window with "Documents and Settings not accessible, not enough quote" statement appeared. I clicked on O.K. button in that window and tried to open Firefox, the same window appeared again. I clicked on O.K. button again and tried to open PicPick application to make some screenshot. New window with "Unknown Software exception (0x0eedfade) in application on place 0x7c812afb" statement appeared instead the application. Then appeared window "Exception EReadError in module picpick.exe at 000489FE".

Nothing works, no application accessible, I had to use hard shut down and then uninstall CCleaner.

• Moderators

Where did you get the ccleaner version from?

Are you downloading it and then installing it from your desktop (or your downloads folder?)

Are you installing it with your browser window open?

What browser do you use?

What security software do you run and are all scans up to date and virus free?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

After installation, deleting cookies started automatically, then I closed CCleaner without starting any analysis or cleaning.

I think you do not know what you saw.

You probably saw CCleaner OFFERING to enter your existing cookies into the COOKIES TO KEEP list.

I really doubt that the latest version has a new mode of zapping cookies before you even "RUN CLEANER"

After that I tried to open Windows Explorer, but window with "Documents and Settings not accessible, not enough quote" statement appeared. I clicked on O.K. button in that window and tried to open Firefox, the same window appeared again. I clicked on O.K. button again and tried to open PicPick application to make some screenshot. New window with "Unknown Software exception (0x0eedfade) in application on place 0x7c812afb" statement appeared instead the application. Then appeared window "Exception EReadError in module picpick.exe at 000489FE".

Nothing works, no application accessible, I had to use hard shut down

That sounds like a badly trashed malware ridden system.

I would suggest scanning your system with whatever protection you depend upon,

and also downloading MalwareBytes for a scan.

NB I have learnt that it saves me time to disconnect external drives etc so they do not get scanned.

If a scan finds nothing bad on C:\ I assume the external is still clean and does not need a scan.

I suggest being sure of your system before you do any on-line purchases / banking

I assume you then switched on and tried to boot up as normal,

and then uninstall CCleaner.

I assume normal boot up was successful,

otherwise Windows Explorer and PicPick and everything else would have still been broken,

and it would not be easy to uninstall CCleaner.

Above are my best guesses - please correct and clarify

Hazelnut:

I got CCleaner at Piriform.

I download to my desktop and installing after all application shut down.

I use Mozilla Firefox 3.6.17.

I use avast! antivirus and Comodo Firewall.

Alan_B:

Deleting of cookies started automatically after CCleaner installation. I did not started the scan by CCleaner.

I scanned my PC by MBAM, SpybotSD, DrWeb CureIt, all of these stated my PC is clear and O.K.

Sorry I am not good in PC and did not find Windows Event Viewer.

'Run ccleaner when computer starts' was not ticked in options.

Sorry I am not good in PC and did not find Windows Event Viewer.

This video takes 1 minute 7 seconds to show you how to access Windows Even Viewer,

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKQyugnCsLM

You will have to copy the above broken link into the address buffer and precede with the usual http,

which I have just deleted because I am not sure if a live video is allowed to be posted here

You will get About 42,300 results (0.15 seconds) from Google if you include the quotes and search for :-

"Windows XP Event Viewer"

• Moderators

You will have to copy the above broken link into the address buffer and precede with the usual http,

which I have just deleted because I am not sure if a live video is allowed to be posted here

Videos of that type are fine Alan, it's only the potentially copyrighted variety which are undesirable simply because they could put the admin into hot water.

Thanks Dennis.

I posted what I thought was a link that would take you to YouTube and give you control over running and stopping,

but when I posted and then saw that it appeared to have embedded the video into this forum I did not know if it would auto-run without further user input,

so I zapped it before it could do any damage to any-one.

I often see static images in this forum,

but the only videos I have seen on Piriform have been in the Lounge,

and those links always took me to YouTube,

they did not appear to be embedded here,

and whilst I had no serious fears that the video would do damage,

I did fear that THE MODERATORS might "take me out behind the bike sheds" for doing something unwise ! !

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

I did fear that THE MODERATORS might "take me out behind the bike sheds" for doing something unwise ! !

Regards

Alan

The last time I went behind the bike sheds the headmaster suspended me for two days.

(We were having a smoke!!!!)

EDIT: Apologies to Cumbuch for the digression.

To DennisD:

At How to use the Event Viewer Microsoft said: Click Start, open Control Panel and go to Performance and Maintenance. On my Control Panel there is no Performance and Mainenace to open it or click on it.

To others:

Thnx for nice discussion. I am 76 and do not ride bike, nor like Farouk Bulsara (Freddie Mercury).

• Moderators

To DennisD:

At How to use the Event Viewer Microsoft said: Click Start, open Control Panel and go to Performance and Maintenance. On my Control Panel there is no Performance and Mainenace to open it or click on it.

If it's installed on your system it's also very quickly available from:

Start -> Run -> type in then click OK: eventvwr.msc

To Hazelnut:

I succeed in access to Event Wiewer. There are two errors, which appeared several times:

1. An overshoot of the potential number of concurrent TCP connections.

2. It was not possible to restore the computer from the network address (from DHCP) for network adapter with address 0018DE92BADB. The following error occurred:

User canceled operation. The computer will attempt to acquire network address from a DHCP server separately.