The Parameter is Incorrect

Mudd

• Moderators

When you did the regsvr32 wmp.dll that rridgely mentioned, did you try doing it in a cmd prompt with elevated privileges?

Click start..type command prompt..right-click on it in the list and select run as admin..when at cmd black window type regsvr32 wmp.dll where the curser is blinking ..then press enter.

There is always the Microsoft Fix-it for WMP to be found here

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I don't use ERUNT. I've seen it mentioned but really don't know what it it. I use the Export to send the full registry to My Documents. The IMPORT to get it back. Maybe that's wrong, don't .

Export and Import are near to useless.

If you export a registry key before you delete it, then import will probably restore normality.

This is how CCLeaner prepares for recovery if the registry is cleaned too hard.

Export/Import is good so long as your O.S. can import or merge a *.Reg file,

but a few systems have a broken mechanism.

If you export a key before adding new values and sub-keys then import is useless,

it can add any old delete/replaced values etc, but the recently added items will remain.

If you use the "OpenWithAdd" suggested by Dennis a then importing a previous REG export will not remove it.

Removal by importing a reg file would require what Dennis referred to by

In fact if needed I'm sure one of the guys could write a reg file to remove all those entries

and that involves some manual error prone fiddling using a text editor on a Reg file.

It is far better to use ERUNT.

It can be set to auto-start each morning and take a fresh snapshot of the whole registry.

Under XP on my Laptop it took about 8 Seconds each morning,

and to revert it probably took another 8 seconds plus the time to shut down and reboot.

The other thing with ERUNT is that should the system be unbootable,

if you have the recovery console that is able to use the ERUNT utility to restore the system from the ERUNT Snapshot.

I advocate use of ERUNT,

but personally with my new Windows 7 Desktop now I use Macrium to take 150 seconds on an Incremental HDD backup image each evening.

(The Free Macrium only does FULL images that take 3 times as long.)

This not only covers me against registry damage;

but also Death by Windows Update - twice in 4 months;

and also malware damage - no malware since kids left home 12 years ago - but they still visit ! !

When you did the regsvr32 wmp.dll that rridgely mentioned, did you try doing it in a cmd prompt with elevated privileges?

Click start..type command prompt..right-click on it in the list and select run as admin..when at cmd black window type regsvr32 wmp.dll where the curser is blinking ..then press enter.

There is always the Microsoft Fix-it for WMP to be found here

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

I've been to Microsoft Fixit with no luck. No I did not run the line with Command Prompt. I just did and notice the picture attached. Strange isn't it?

Mudd

Export and Import are near to useless.

If you export a registry key before you delete it, then import will probably restore normality.

This is how CCLeaner prepares for recovery if the registry is cleaned too hard.

Export/Import is good so long as your O.S. can import or merge a *.Reg file,

but a few systems have a broken mechanism.

If you export a key before adding new values and sub-keys then import is useless,

it can add any old delete/replaced values etc, but the recently added items will remain.

If you use the "OpenWithAdd" suggested by Dennis a then importing a previous REG export will not remove it.

Removal by importing a reg file would require what Dennis referred to by

and that involves some manual error prone fiddling using a text editor on a Reg file.

It is far better to use ERUNT.

It can be set to auto-start each morning and take a fresh snapshot of the whole registry.

Under XP on my Laptop it took about 8 Seconds each morning,

and to revert it probably took another 8 seconds plus the time to shut down and reboot.

The other thing with ERUNT is that should the system be unbootable,

if you have the recovery console that is able to use the ERUNT utility to restore the system from the ERUNT Snapshot.

I advocate use of ERUNT,

but personally with my new Windows 7 Desktop now I use Macrium to take 150 seconds on an Incremental HDD backup image each evening.

(The Free Macrium only does FULL images that take 3 times as long.)

This not only covers me against registry damage;

but also Death by Windows Update - twice in 4 months;

and also malware damage - no malware since kids left home 12 years ago - but they still visit ! !

Thanks for the information. I'll look it up and see if it's something I can understand and use properly.

Mudd

• Moderators

I've been to Microsoft Fixit with no luck. No I did not run the line with Command Prompt. I just did and notice the picture attached. Strange isn't it?

Leave a space after regsvr32

regsvr32 wmp.dll

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Leave a space after regsvr32

regsvr32 wmp.dll

The further I go, it seems I make a mess of things. I just did what Alan_B suggested and restart the PC, getting all kinds of error messages concerning ERUNT errors. Will try to uninstall it and try again.

Your suggestion, I repeated with the correction. The picture below shows what happened to that one.

Mudd

Hang on to that registry backup that you made early in your fixit efforts. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I'm fresh out of ideas here Mudd, and I don't know too much about how UAC works in Vista, but it seems to be pretty complex for ordinary folk, especially when trying to fix something which need "full" privileges, or however it's termed in Vista.

Regarding ERUNT, if you want to use it, use the "ERUNT GUI" version, which is very simple and straightforward.

ERUNT GUI: (Scroll to end of page)

I'll keep following the thread and see how the other guys ideas turn out, and keep an eye open for anything new. Maybe Microsoft will provide a version of WMP11 you can use to reinstall in Vista. This would solve a major headache for a lot of folk.

Sorry it didn't work for you Mudd.

I'm fresh out of ideas here Mudd, and I don't know too much about how UAC works in Vista, but it seems to be pretty complex for ordinary folk, especially when trying to fix something which need "full" privileges, or however it's termed in Vista.

Regarding ERUNT, if you want to use it, use the "ERUNT GUI" version, which is very simple and straightforward.

ERUNT GUI: (Scroll to end of page)

I'll keep following the thread and see how the other guys ideas turn out, and keep an eye open for anything new. Maybe Microsoft will provide a version of WMP11 you can use to reinstall in Vista. This would solve a major headache for a lot of folk.

Sorry it didn't work for you Mudd.

I am most grateful to you Dennis. Don't know how you could have done more. I won't forget how hard you have tried to get this mess working.

I can still use it, WMP that is, the hard way. I have nothing to do but complain and hope for another day.

Best to you Sir.

Mudd