Cracked/chipped windshield

Capman

A quick question for the Americans on here.

If we get a Cracked/chipped windshield (we call it windscreen over here), we can go and get it fixed or even call someone out to our home or workplace to fix it. Obviously getting it fixed could save us from having to fork out for a new windscreen.

Does a similar service exist in the states? Ideally in Chicago.

A quick question for the Americans on here.

If we get a Cracked/chipped windshield (we call it windscreen over here), we can go and get it fixed or even call someone out to our home or workplace to fix it. Obviously getting it fixed could save us from having to fork out for a new windscreen.

Does a similar service exist in the states? Ideally in Chicago.

Yes, sir, it does. Don't know the names of any, but in fact many insurers will fix the windshield free, that is with no deductible, as it is in their best interest to fix it before it costs them more money.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Yes, sir, it does. Don't know the names of any, but in fact many insurers will fix the windshield free, that is with no deductible, as it is in their best interest to fix it before it costs them more money.

Thank you, I assume the insurer would then suggest a company capable of doing it that would be local to the person who needs it done then.

I've used Safelite a couple of times with good results. They have locations all over, including the Chicago area.

David_L, have you had experience with that epoxy repair method? Safelite uses it, but they also do full reinstalls. I have not, and wondered if it was clear and durable?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

The "repair" rather than the "replace" method is all I've had done by them. I live in an area with lots of trucks hauling gravel, so unfortunately small chips to the glass are common. Chips in my paint too, but that's another story. The epoxy repairs are virtually invisible and, as far as I can tell, the repair is permanent. I live in a "mild to hotter than blazes" temperature zone, so water getting underneath the epoxy and freezing and popping it out isn't a concern. My understanding is that if the epoxy repair is done properly it shouldn't be a concern anywhere. In the end though it's the insurance company's call, unless I want to pay the difference. As I said, I've have good luck with Safelite twice, or maybe it was 3 times.

Safelite is just a national chain. Any local mom and pop auto-glass shop can do the same repairs. Check the local yellow pages, shop around. I only mention Safelite as it's who my insurance required me to use. I'm sure they have a contract with them.

I'm in the UK, but my son is seeing a girl in Chicago, and I do literally mean seeing, it has progressed from talking on Skype to him actually going out there to see her. He told me on Skype today that she has a chipped windshield and that she never knew it could be repaired, he had tried googling places to get it done but came up with nothing, hence me asking on here.

I'm keeping her informed of anything that I find out on here by Facebook, so do greatly appreciate all the info.

If she can travel 18 miles to get her windshield fixed, I say go for it.

But if it's 18 miles of loose gravel with 18-wheeler trucks traveling in the opposite direction, go about 150 mph. :o

...he had tried googling places to get it done but came up with nothing, hence me asking on here.

Hello Capman. Try googling "chipped windshield repair in chicago". When I did that, I came up with a number of hits. It could be as simple as your son's girlfriend using that google search to locate two of three places close to her. She can then call them and get some quotes.

• Moderators

If the Insurance company's over there have similar cover to over here, and if you have "Mobile Windscreen Repair" outfits, you need never drive anywhere. You call them out.

In the UK if it's just a chip, it's repaired at no cost and no effect on your "No Claims Bonus". If it's beyond repair, the windscreen is replaced on the spot, or as soon as the guy can get hold of the right screen, and you only pay your insurance excess, again with no affect on your "No Claims Bonus".

My daughter had a crack in her screen and we called a mobile repair outfit out about a month ago, and he replaced the screen at the door as it wasn't repairable, which cost her £70 (her excess) instead of a few hundred pounds if she'd chosen to take it to a repair shop and pay for it herself.

She didn't actually know this, as I'm sure a lot of folk don't, but this is a national agreement between insurance company's.

Thought it may be worth a mention.

If she can travel 18 miles to get her windshield fixed, I say go for it.

But if it's 18 miles of loose gravel with 18-wheeler trucks traveling in the opposite direction, go about 150 mph. :o

She lives in the suburbs of Chicago, so I think she has quite a bit of driving to get to most places.

Hello Capman. Try googling "chipped windshield repair in chicago". When I did that, I came up with a number of hits. It could be as simple as your son's girlfriend using that google search to locate two of three places close to her. She can then call them and get some quotes.

Will do, thanks.

I must admit when I came on forum and seen the title of this thread I thought ''Oh no, more spam!''

Good to see it wasn't. Hope your son has a safe and happy visit across the pond Capman :)

You won't believe how many times I changed the title to make it not look lie spam, but settled on my first idea in the end.

A few more days and he will be back home with us, I feel sorry for the pair of them when they have to part.

If the Insurance company's over there have similar cover to over here, and if you have "Mobile Windscreen Repair" outfits, you need never drive anywhere. You call them out.

In the UK if it's just a chip, it's repaired at no cost and no effect on your "No Claims Bonus". If it's beyond repair, the windscreen is replaced on the spot, or as soon as the guy can get hold of the right screen, and you only pay your insurance excess, again with no affect on your "No Claims Bonus".

My daughter had a crack in her screen and we called a mobile repair outfit out about a month ago, and he replaced the screen at the door as it wasn't repairable, which cost her ?70 (her excess) instead of a few hundred pounds if she'd chosen to take it to a repair shop and pay for it herself.

She didn't actually know this, as I'm sure a lot of folk don't, but this is a national agreement between insurance company's.

Thought it may be worth a mention.

Oh it was definitely worth a mention, I did know all that already regarding how it is over here, although I have never had it done.

I'm sure their would be similar procedures over there too.

• Moderators

Oh it was definitely worth a mention, I did know all that already regarding how it is over here, although I have never had it done.

I'm sure their would be similar procedures over there too.

Over here it matters how much of a deductible someone has to, or doesn't have to pay for insurance car repair claims depending upon which amount of deductible they've chosen.

When my windscreen exploded due to very cold weather some 20 years ago I didn't have to pay anything.

When my windscreen exploded due to very cold weather some 20 years ago I didn't have to pay anything.

Same here, twice, and one of those times I broke it myself by accident. Insurance agent told me they didn't collect the deductible for broken windshields.

Over here it matters how much of a deductible someone has to, or doesn't have to pay for insurance car repair claims depending upon which amount of deductible they've

She did tell me that she only has insurance to pay someone else out in an accident (over here we call that third party only insurance), would she be likely to have a deductible with that type of insurance, or is it literally bare bones insurance.

• Moderators

That's called Liability insurance over here where they only pay the other party if it's her fault. With such minimal insurance the glass repair will probably have to paid by her, however it would be wise to phone the insurance company first just to make sure.