Is it possible to defragment HFS+ drives with Defraggler?

• Moderators

Hi Piriformentalirisized, and welcome to the forum.

According to the current system requirements ...

Defraggler can defrag NTFS and FAT hard drives, as well as exFAT format USB drives. We do not recommend that you defrag USB drives that have not been formatted as exFAT. Generally, they will not benefit by being defragmented and theoretically defragging can shorten their lifespan.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/introducing-defraggler/system-requirements

Is it safe to try it?

I wouldn't myself without definitive confirmation from the developers, who do read these threads.

Whether it's possible to defrag HFS+ would depend on how much support Windows 7's Defragging API has for this format.

I guess you could try but personally I would stick to more common formats such as FAT32 or NTFS.

Why defrag a HFS+ drive in Windows 7 doesn't Apple have any similar??

Richard S.

Thanks DennisD and redhawk. There are not many defragmenters for mac because the Mac OS X is less prone to fragmentation. In fact I know only one defragmenter for mac, and I cannot use it right now because I don't have a mac system in my computer. Anyway, when I try to analyse the partition to check the defragmentation level, the system freezes at 50% - 88%.

In fact I think (maybe I'm wrong) that Windows 7 can read but not write HFS+ partitions. I barely remember that I installed the Apple Boot Camp to write, but it was so unstable that I switched to MacDrive. Or maybe Windows 7 cannot read at all and I installed the Boot Camp from the beginning. :blink: