And people ask why I don't like Apple...

CTskifreak

I think my hate for Apple started with their Quick Time video player which got bundled with most Audio CDs including video content.

Apart from being forced to install their software I found Quick Time was far from quick which didn't make sense since mpeg-1 files played fine.

Then there's the iPod, iPhone, iPad, overpriced branded rubbish for people with money, I'm so glad I own an iRiver MP3 player :)

Richard S.

I love the iphone and ipod. I've had every kind of cell phone imaginable over the last 15 plus years and none touch the iphone for awesomeness. It has a few shortcomings for sure, but overall, the experience is super. Never had a mac though, and to be honest, i love my pc. Does everything i want, no issues, and windows is a great system imho.

• Moderators

I think my hate for Apple started with their Quick Time video player which got bundled with most Audio CDs including video content.

Those weren't audio CDs they were CD EXTRA/Enhanced CDs.

Then there's the iPod, iPhone, iPad, overpriced branded rubbish for people with money, I'm so glad I own an iRiver MP3 player

The only thing that has kept me from getting an iPod is the iTunes software which I can't stand. I thought about getting a rival brands portable media player with a 160 GB HDD but thought for the same money I could get a netbook or bargain priced laptop, haven't gotten any of it yet though.

The only CD EXTRA I ever had was King Crimsons'...I forget the name (Space Vector?) but it has Space Groove 2 on it which I love. (The rest stinks.) The "extra" was video stuff.

I can't stand QuickTime, but unfortunately I need iTunes in order to download certain podcasts. And yes, I can't stand the iTunes app either. All this junk I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole right at my fingertips. Blechh!

Sometimes I wish Microsoft hadn't saved Apple...although they were kinda forced to do so.

Apple has been doing stuff like that for years - antennagate, water detectors in iPhones, yellow things behind the glass in iMacs, etc. - and yet people still buy their products.

Piriform French translator

I spend a lot of time in a TV Studio (due to school and work) and the producer was speaking to an Apple fanboy (who admittedly has some problems) about how we are getting a new swtcher (video switcher) and the fanboy exclaimed "a top of the line switcher!" (it's not) So I told him it was an apple switchboard and it only has one button :P

http://www.blackmagi.../products/atem/

This model is about ~$20,000 but 5 years ago it was ~$70,000, so it's a pretty good deal!

I've been using a brand new Mac for the last couple of weeks, and couldn't wait to get back home to my Windows machine.

Not for me I'm afraid.

Thought I felt a disturbance in the force a couple of weeks ago.

What a shocker. 1.gif

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Seems to me that neither microsoft nor apple put much energy into virus control. They could, they have the money and they know their operating systems better than anybody. Wonder why they don't?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Seems to me that neither microsoft nor apple put much energy into virus control.

With the exception of XP I think Microsoft have made some efforts with Vista and Windows 7 to try and minimise the problem of Malware i.e. address space layout randomisation and UAC control.

The problem is malware coders are getting more and more sophicated with their attacks that eventually there's always some tiny way to root a machine.

There's only so much Microsoft can do so people should also wise up about the Internet, don't visit dodgy web sites, don't install cracked software and keep a look out for any suspious behaviour.

Richard S.

With the exception of XP I think Microsoft have made some efforts with Vista and Windows 7 to try and minimise the problem of Malware i.e. address space layout randomisation and UAC control.

The problem is malware coders are getting more and more sophicated with their attacks that eventually there's always some tiny way to root a machine.

There's only so much Microsoft can do so people should also wise up about the Internet, don't visit dodgy web sites, don't install cracked software and keep a look out for any suspious behaviour.

Richard S.

I agree with you. Even if I didn't I wouldn't argue 'cause you know a bunch more about this than I.

Still I think the decision by both companies is financially motivated. And one big difference is that apple said it out loud.

However...

I must say here that common sense as a preventative is not effective. I once clicked on a link in Yahoo news about the Dalai Lama, and my computer immediately shut down with a pop and restarted...restarted, I'm tellin ya! :o

If I had not had Powershadow running there is no telling what would have been installed after the restart.

It was not a hardware problem like heat or power supply that shut the machine down.

And the nasty link was gone from yahoo news not more than 5 minutes after I clicked on it.