Almost lost doc - major flaw

DrazzilBetahi

I was working on a large doc and it was saved to temp. Luckily I inspected the deletion log in CC before I did the cleanup otherwise this doc would have been deleted. I think that this is a flaw. You should not be deleting everything in temp just because the file is in temp. I think that you should have the option to remove the files to the recycle bin just to be safe. That's what the recycle bin is for. Bypassing the recycle bin is a huge mistake. If I'm doing something incorrectly let me know.

Simple solution.

Stop saving your documents in TEMP directories, save them to My Documents instead.

There is also a 48 hour protection (optional, enabled by default) for all items in TEMP directories.

22592[/snapback]

That is such a bs answer. You can't say that just because something is in temp it is junk and should be deleted. What do you have against backing up to the recycle bin? The simple solution is for me to find a product that works with safety in mind. .TXT should not be a temp file no matter where it is.

You wouldn't be having this "issue" if you had saved to a folder other than TEMP, now would you?

(Psst, the correct answer is "No.")

Why would you want to save documents that are important to a TEMP directory anyways? Did you stop to think about that?

Temp directories in Windows means that files in that folder are TEMPORARY. It's a very simple concept. :)

I'm pretty sure just about everyone here will agree that this is no issue at all. CCleaner is doing it's job properly, it's just that you made a very poor choice to save your document(s) to a temporary directory. Try moving your documents to My Documents instead to resolve your "issue".

• Moderators
That is such a bs answer.  You can't say that just because something is in temp it is junk and should be deleted.

22595[/snapback]

Tarun gave you a proper response! It's what I would've told you and I'm sure many other people would've responded the same.

Before I even got down to this post in this thread my first thoughts were "why would someone save an important document in the temp folder," hence there's tons of utility minded programs that will quickly empty temp folders, and many of them won't give an output of what's to be deleted.

You do however have a valid point, that being moving junk files to the recycle bin for final deletion. Although for me such a feature would be useless especially if it couldn't be disabled, however if you want it as a feature post a reply in the suggestions thread.

Tarun gave you a proper response! It's what I would've told you and I'm sure many other people would've responded the same.

Before I even got down to this post in this thread my first thoughts were "why would someone save an important document in the temp folder," hence there's tons of utility minded programs that will quickly empty temp folders, and many of them won't give an output of what's to be deleted.

You do however have a valid point, that being moving junk files to the recycle bin for final deletion. Although for me such a feature would be useless especially if it couldn't be disabled, however if you want it as a feature post a reply in the suggestions thread.

22614[/snapback]

No is the correct answer and the point you make is valid. However, the real point is that it is possible to store a file in temp if your not paying attention (like I did). Since that is true and the possiblility exists for an important doc to be deleted the program should make an allowance for such. Since when is .txt or .doc a temp file? You are making your evaluation based on location and I think that is flawed. Instead you should make your evaluation on extension and/or location. That would be much safer. I'm not a programmer but it seems that it would be fairly simple to back up deleted files to the recycle bin or perhaps zip into an archive. Check out morespace www.contactplus.com if you want to see a simple and effective implemetation of such a feature.

• Moderators
You are making your evaluation based on location and I think that is flawed.

22623[/snapback]

It isn't an evaluation of mine whatsoever, and I myself have been biten by storing stuff like temporary .wav or image files I was editing in the temp folder, I learned my lesson the hard and unrecoverable way so now I avoid storing anything of any importance in the temp folder.

Like I already stated there's many cleaning programs that will wipe your temp folder clean without the luxury of listing/notify what's to be deleted as CCleaner did for you, just be happy you're not having to start over from scratch my friend.

...there's tons of utility minded programs that will quickly empty temp folders, and many of them won't give an output of what's to be deleted.

22614[/snapback]

Even the Windows Disk Cleanup empties the Temp folders.

Since that is true  and the possiblility exists for an important doc to be deleted the program should make an allowance for such.

22623[/snapback]

A program doing exactly what it is designed for makes it flawed? No. The source of the fault happens to be with the user (in this case you) for saving important document(s) to a/the TEMP directory.

Bottom line: You cannot blame a program for a fault that is your own.

Since when is .txt or .doc a temp file?

22623[/snapback]

Your answer is: When it is stored in a temporary directory.

You are making your evaluation based on location and I think that is flawed.

22623[/snapback]

There is no evaluation here. It is a known fact that files in a TEMP directory are TEMPORARY. Let me adjust the colors so you can get this message. :)

TEMPORARY

Does that help? It should.

I'm not a programmer but it seems that it would be fairly simple to back up deleted files to the recycle bin or perhaps zip into an archive.

22623[/snapback]

That would be pointless as well since CCleaner is made to "Empty Recycle Bin". We're removing junk data, not moving it.

You have the Analyze button to see what is going to be removed and you used it.

1. Here's a few easy solutions to your "issue".

2. Pay attention to what you're doing.

3. Don't save documents into anything that says TEMP.

4. Save your documents to My Documents. (Sounds a lot better than TEMP)

5. If it's important, it doesn't go in anything labeled TEMP.

Stop blaming CCleaner for your mistake and problem please. Your whining about your mistake is getting annoying.

CCleaner already checks the timestamp on all items in the TEMP directories to see if they are older than 48 hours. If they are, it will remove them. This is an optional feature, as CCleaner can be set to remove all files in TEMP directories regardless of the timestamp.