Ubuntu 11

Ishi

Ishi, have you configured a firewall in Mint 9? Is it easy?

I'm on here now w/ Mint 9, meant to try out Ubuntu 10.10 but put the wrong DVD in. :P

Open Menu on the left hand bottom of the screen and just type "firewall" on the search box. I have not really used this but go ahead and try. And oh, you can just put Ubuntu or Mint on an RW CD rather than an expensive DVD, saves you money. Or on a USB using Universal USB Installer. It gives you the option to make a "Persistent" file that saves your changes,data and user preferences that were made on your Linux that is installed on a USB. It works with Ubuntu and Mint as well as many other Linux and even non Linux distros.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

The thing I really love about Mint 9 is that its more user friendly than Ubuntu in terms of the UI and that search function under Menu is quite nice and Ubuntu doesn't have that. Plus on Mint I have the option to not show mounted partitions on the Desktop which is quite a bugger.

To all Linux users, you should definitely install Wine that enables you to install Windows compatible programs on Linux.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Thanks, Ishi, I will do that. :D

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...

Downloaded, burnt to ISO, installed... first as an application on the C:drive, which they say reduces disk speed or sumsuch... uninstalled, set up a separtate partition using EASEUS... reboot, install on new partition but not without a lot o' fuss 'n' bother over needed to use a partition for "swap space", WHAT THE?! eventually sorted that out, or so i thought... reboot computer, my Windows installation is no longer there! it doesn't even show up in Ubuntu's disk viewer! Stuff that, says I, and try to reover my system... no can do! can't even install windows over the ubuntu partition - won't let me format it! Soooo I go's all the way back to my original Windows recovery disk, etc...

The last time I installed Ubuntu with Windows it was a triple-booter: Win Vista, Win 7 & Ubuntu-whatever version it was at the time - no probs then!

I rather like the look of Ubuntu 11, especially the Launcher on Unity desktop, but I think I need to put it on a separate hard disk or USB altogether...

But at the end of the day I 110% prefer Windows.

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D

I rather like the look of Ubuntu 11, especially the Launcher on Unity desktop, but I think I need to put it on a separate hard disk or USB altogether...

Yep. Just spent a couple hours getting Ubuntu 10.10 to boot from a USB stick and save changes. Installed it 3 or 4 times to one stick, reformatted it 2 or 3 times, finally concluded that it just wouldn't work. Installed it to a different stick, worked perfectly first time, running it now, changes persist. Have no idea why one stick worked and the other didn't. Same size and file system.

Finally used Unetbootin to make the USB stick persistent. BTW, Unetbootin triggers a false alarm in Avast.

I like the look and feel of Ubuntu also, not as the main OS just yet.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Soooo I go's all the way back to my original Windows recovery disk, etc...

The last time I installed Ubuntu with Windows it was a triple-booter: Win Vista, Win 7 & Ubuntu-whatever version it was at the time - no probs then!

Just had the same experience with installing Mint 10 to a 4 gb usb stick. Installed it from the DVD. Went along veeerrry carefully, got the right partition on the USB stick, all seemed to be going well, but then the computer wouldn't boot unless the stick was plugged in. :blink:

When it did boot it gave me the new bootloader options which are even less informative than windows error messages. If you don't know what your partitions look like you won't recognize them from that gabble. First windows boot attempt sent me into the recovery partition. Second boot went into windows OK. Third boot into windows froze at the wallpaper.

System restore didn't help. Safe mode didn't work. Restored the C: partition using Acronis rescue disk and recovery backups, then found out that all the partition letters had been rearranged.

Bad experience but learned from it. Will run mint from a live CD if at all hereafter.

Edit: Got the USB installation issue fixed by using LinuxLive USB Creator: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/