language settings ccleaner portable

ghenry

ccleaner 3.05.1409

I've set the language to 'German', yet ccleaner portable keeps displaying in English (ccleaner.ini shows language = 1031)

The program is running on a 2nd computer - IN GERMAN -; when I copy the complete program to the first computer, it keeps displaying in English.

Any suggestions?

GHenry

I guess it has to do with the old settings in the old settings file of your 2nd computer. Some suggestions:

1. Change the language to e.g. dutch and then back to german. Perhaps that will work.

2. Untick the box "Save settings to INI file"" and then tick that box again. Perhaps (un-)ticking that box twice or more times will persuade CC to display the german text.

3. Is there a file called ""lang-1031.dll"" in the subfolder ""Lang"" ? That contains the german text strings. The code 1031 in the *.ini file points to that file.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

> 1. Change the language to e.g. dutch and then back to german. Perhaps that will work.

> I already tried that with French - no success.

> 2. Untick the box "Save settings to INI file"" and then tick that box again. Perhaps (un-)ticking that box twice or more times will persuade

> CC to display the german text.

Can't - the box is ticked, but greyed-out. Question: Why is it greyed-out, and how can that be changed? Perhaps this is a sign that CC cannot change its settings.

> 3. Is there a file called ""lang-1031.dll"" in the subfolder ""Lang"" ?

Yes.

Now here's the big riddle: as I wrote before, when I copy the complete ccleaner portable folder from my laptop (where it displays in GermN) to my my Tower, the program suddenly displays in English! AND: when I copy the very same folder back to my laptop (to another location), the program switches back to German again. How's that?

Conclusion: the responsisibility for the language displayed must lie outside cc, probably with Windows. No idea, how, where or why.

Note: the registry on my Tower does not contain any ccleaner entries (at least not as far as I can see), so there appear to be no traces left of the 'stationary' ccleaner installed before.

Thanks for your suggestions!

GHenry

Can't - the box is ticked, but greyed-out. Question: Why is it greyed-out, and how can that be changed? Perhaps this is a sign that CC cannot change its settings.

That is because you use the PORTABLE version which detects the presence of Portable.dat and therefore never uses the registry,

therefore "Save to INI" is always in force.

Probably renaming Portable.dat would cancel the grey-out and allow you to untick the box.

I recognize that juggling the "Save to INI" may fix a registry glitch with the installed version of CC,

but I doubt its value with the portable version.

I strongly recommend a clean start rather than re-using second hand software that is adapted to totally different hardware and probably different O.S. and applications.

Incidentally (or possibly quite important) are they both using the same O.S.,

and are they both x32 or both x64, or have we more opportunities for chaos.

I know the original ZIP has to be good for re-use, but just in case why not download a fresh copy.

Purge CCleaner from the Tower and create a new folder for CCleaner and unzip the download to that.

This should give you a clean start with a very small (or absent) CCleaner.ini,

and no recollection of the applications and your cleansing choices that were relevant to the Laptop.

Hopefully you will then be "Good to Go".

Both computers are running under WinXP-HOME, SP3, x32.

The directory structures of both computers are identical, as are most of the applications.

Initially I DID install ccleaner portable from the zip file into a fresh directory.

And now: renaming portable.dat to xportable.dat did the trick. Now the program's display works in German even after re-instituting the original portable.dat. However, for the life of me I can't imagine why importing the complete program from another computer didn't work, and why these identical versions had German as a display language in one case and English in the other, even after repeated imports and exports of the program.

Well, ours not to reason why, as they say.

Thanks a lot!

GHenry

• Moderators

However, for the life of me I can't imagine why importing the complete program from another computer didn't work...

If there were CCleaner settings in the registry on the computer with the issue that could've possibly caused it which is my best guess.

I don't know - there don't seem to be any traces left in the registry of either ccleaner or piriform. But no need to delve too deeply into the matter now that cc portable is working as it should.

Thanks again

G Henry

Glad you now have control.

Now the program's display works in German even after re-instituting the original portable.dat.

GHenry

I think the contents of portable.dat have no effect,

the important thing is whether it is absent or present.

I was thinking that CCleaner.ini held settings that worked on the Laptop,

but some little detail that was included when you copied to the Tower somehow put a permanent glitch on your Language choice.

I am however more than happy with Andavari's diagnosis.

I far prefer Portable applications and view the registry as the source of all that is evil.