Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

On 9/23/2018 at 01:04, Nergal said:

Pretty sure the first picture are dom cookies and thus are handled by ccleaner already, and the second by sessions under edge.

You may wish to include an entry to remove *.chk files from Webcache as well.

On my Windows 10x64 Pro systems, V01.log, V01tmp.log, WebcacheV01.dat, and WebcacheV01.jfm are locked.

WebCache.png

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

On 9/22/2018 at 21:03, SMalik said:

Revised Entry

Added: %CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Backup|*.*|RECURSE

[Windows Defender *]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows Defender
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\Backup|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Network Inspection System\Support|*.txt
FileKey3=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans|*.bin*
FileKey4=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\CacheManager|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\ReportLatency\Latency|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service|*.log
FileKey7=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\MetaStore|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%CommonAppData%\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Support|*.*|RECURSE

I thought it was our "policy" not to remove Backup files from security programs and the like. ??

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

You may wish to include removal of the *.chk files and other V01*.log files for Edge as well

Edge.png

52 minutes ago, siliconman01 said:

I thought it was our "policy" not to remove Backup files from security programs and the like. ??

Correct, the entries for cleaning old definitions of "Microsoft Security Essentials" and "Windows Defender" are in Winapp3.ini already.

I opened a pull request for all revised entries and suggestions: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/pull/301.
If no one objects on GitHub, I will merge it on Wednesday.

On 9/24/2018 at 04:40, APMichael said:

Correct, the entries for cleaning old definitions of "Microsoft Security Essentials" and "Windows Defender" are in Winapp3.ini already.

I opened a pull request for all revised entries and suggestions: https://github.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/pull/301.
If no one objects on GitHub, I will merge it on Wednesday.

It is not an actual backup. These are definition update leftovers.

9 hours ago, SMalik said:

It is not an actual backup. These are definition update leftovers.

What you say about the backup entries showing in the screenshot?

Sorry, but I didn't define that "policy". The community decided not to include such files from security programs! Feel free to start a survey on whether the community wants to include the definition backups in Winapp2.ini again. (BTW I use that FileKey in my custom Winapp2.ini also.)

OOPPS!  One of the most recent changes to MS Edge is removing the Favorites in the Favorites Bar <_<  We had this problem once before when we started including some of the Edge files.

Plus we are now damaging Chrome Extension when running this new Winapp2.ini

ChromeExtension.png

1 hour ago, siliconman01 said:

OOPPS!  One of the most recent changes to MS Edge is removing the Favorites in the Favorites Bar <_<  We had this problem once before when we started including some of the Edge files.

Thanks for your fast feedback.

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this problem. This should only happen if the spartan.edb file gets removed, but the file is protected by an ExcludeKey. (The "DBStore" FileKey and ExcludeKeys were used for a long time previously, without any problem report.)

1 hour ago, siliconman01 said:

Plus we are now damaging Chrome Extension when running this new Winapp2.ini

Not good, then we have to add the ExcludeKeys to the entry [Logs *] again.

13 minutes ago, SMalik said:

Works fine with Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. There is no issue whatsoever.

Thanks for your fast feedback, too.

Unfortunately, siliconman01 reports a problem with a Chrome extension. Therefore, we have to add the ExcludeKeys to the entry [Logs *] again.

Suggestion: Should we move the *.old cleaning into a new entry, e.g. [Logs old *]?

I have 4 different computers all using Chrome and also Edge on Windows 10x64 Pro Build 17134.286.  ALL 4 experience the same failures on Edge and Chrome with this new Winapp2.ini.

5 minutes ago, siliconman01 said:

I have 4 different computers all using Chrome and also Edge on Windows 10x64 Pro Build 17134.286.  ALL 4 experience the same failures on Edge and Chrome with this new Winapp2.ini.

The Chrome issue should be clear. This can be fixed by just adding the ExcludeKeys again. It seems that there are still Chrome extensions that need the ExcludeKeys.

The Edge problem is weird. I don't think it is caused by the new "UrlBlock" or the "Recovery" FileKeys. And the old "DBStore" FileKey and ExcludeKeys were used for a long time.

Can you please check if your trimmed Winapp2.ini includes the 3 ExcludeKeys? And that the spartan.edb file doesn't get removed? Thanks!

[Microsoft Edge *]
LangSecRef=3022
Detect=HKCU\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\SystemAppData\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
DetectFile=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
Default=False
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\#!00*\INetCookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\#!00*\Microsoft\Cryptnet*Cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey3=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\#!00*\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\Microsoft\Cryptnet*Cache|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\Cookies|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\UrlBlock|*.tmp
FileKey7=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Datastore\Data\nouser1\*\Favorites|*.ico
FileKey9=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Indexed\Data\nouser1\*|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey10=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\ImageStore|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey11=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Recovery\Active|*.dat
FileKey12=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\Temp|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey13=%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AppData\User\Default\Indexed DB|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey14=%UserProfile%\MicrosoftEdgeBackups\backups\*|*.*|REMOVESELF
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore\|spartan.edb
ExcludeKey2=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore\|spartan.jfm
ExcludeKey3=FILE|%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore\LogFiles\|edb.log

And spartan.edb is present

11 minutes ago, APMichael said:

Thanks for your fast reply and your help.

I made some tests on another computer and was able to reproduce the issue now, but only once. I hope I will find the culprit, otherwise we have to remove the "DBStore" cleaning again.

It could very well be a glitch in the CCleaner "exclude" logic or whatever ;)

Ok, I hope I found the problem. It was a strange interaction between the "DBStore" cleaning and CCleaners own entries "Session" and "Set Aside Tabs".

Could you please test this new version of Winapp2.ini:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/4ec7fb3015146eae459c33b0ad8ba809edb59c83/Winapp2.ini
If the problems are gone, I will made it public.

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, APMichael said:

Ok, I hope I found the problem. It was a strange interaction between the "DBStore" cleaning and CCleaners own entries "Session" and "Set Aside Tabs".

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MoscaDotTo/Winapp2/4ec7fb3015146eae459c33b0ad8ba809edb59c83/Winapp2.ini

Thanks again!

Looks like you have fixed MS Edge favorites and Chrome extensions.  Thanks immensely!

12 hours ago, APMichael said:

Sorry, but I didn't define that "policy". The community decided not to include such files from security programs! Feel free to start a survey on whether the community wants to include the definition backups in Winapp2.ini again. (BTW I use that FileKey in my custom Winapp2.ini also.)

You twisted my question. As per my understanding, this policy applies to any backup. Therefore, the backup entries from Google Chrome should be removed.

5 hours ago, APMichael said:

Thanks again!

Now, it is deleting favorites. Most programs exclude %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore\LogFiles from cleaning. Also, spartan.edb and spartan.jfm files from %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore

You twisted my question. As per my understanding, this policy applies to any backup. Therefore, the backup entries from Google Chrome should be removed.

My recollection of this debate several years back was that we would not remove backup files for security programs and registry cleaning programs.  I believe Robert arbitrated the debate and made the final decision on what would not be removed.  

Now, it is deleting favorites. Most programs exclude %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore\LogFiles from cleaning. Also, spartan.edb and spartan.jfm files from %LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_*\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\*\DBStore

Hmmm....it's not deleting favorites from Edge on my systems now...as I reported earlier when APMichael asked for the trial of