Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

A general comment. Since winapp2.ini is getting huge now and many people just use the file and not extracting the entries they need, it would be very beneficial if DETECTFILE entries were replaced with DETECT ones, as reading from the Registry is always quicker than from the hard drive.

MODIFIED ENTRIES

[iTunes Logs*]

LangSecRef=3023

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe

Default=False

FileKey1=%AppData%\Apple Computer\Logs|*.log

FileKey2=%WinDir%\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs|*.log

[iTunes Temp Files*]

LangSecRef=3023

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\iTunes\iTunes.exe

Default=False

FileKey1=%Music%\iTunes|*.tmp|RECURSE

I have slowly over time switched to Detect= for some entries, but I don't have all of the programs. I will make greater strides towards this soon.

There were ideas floating around for a batch script that would search your drive and place all of the entries that would return true into the file for you, so you'd only have the entries relevant to your drive, but it never happened.

If anyone wants to submit Detect= Paths to replace DetectFiles, I'll gladly replace it. :)

Can I suggest RegKey6 is removed from:

[*Internet Explorer More]
LangSecRef=3022
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International|CNum_CpCache
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International|CpCache
RegKey3=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\International\CpMRU
RegKey4=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup
RegKey5=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\LowRegistry\Audio\PolicyConfig\PropertyStore
RegKey6=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats
RegKey7=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached
FileKey1=%LocalLowAppData%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\Content|*.*
FileKey2=%LocalLowAppData%\Microsoft\CryptnetUrlCache\MetaData|*.*
FileKey3=%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\UserData|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey4=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer|brndlog.*
FileKey5=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer|*iconcache.dat
FileKey6=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\iconcache|*.*|REMOVESELF

It causes Windows Update site to prompt for permission for its active x every time you run it if this key is cleaned.

Update for Kies

[samsung Kies*]
LangSecRef=3023
Detect=HKCU\Software\Samsung\Kies2.0
Default=False
FileKey1=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|UpdateLog.txt
FileKey2=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|UpdateList.txt
FileKey3=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|*.mlca
FileKey4=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|*.mlme
FileKey5=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|*.mlpb
FileKey6=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies|*.mlpgb
FileKey7=%AppData%\Samsung\Kies\UpdateTemp|*.*|RECURSE
FileKey8=%ProgramData%\Samsung\Kies|ConnectionManager.log

Guest Keatah

Just everyone be aware that the entries in post 677 will kill your itunes library and custom playlists. A real shocker unless you have a backup or are wanting to do that.

All is well here, i didn't blow up anything here.

Hi all,

Below is a winapp2.ini entry that I wrote for the Lenovo (formerly IBM) ThinkVantage System Update program. This is a software/driver update program installed on many late IBM and Lenovo desktop and laptop systems. The winapp2.ini entry cleans out the session directory, which holds all downloaded installers and temporary files and can easily grow to multiple GB in size (see many complaints about this across the web). I have tested the entry on ThinkVantage System Update version 4.01 running on Windows 7 and partially tested on ThinkVantage System Update version 3.15 on Windows XP (in a VM, which prevented full testing).

[ThinkVantage System Update*]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe
Default=False
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session|*.*|RECURSE
; Must exclude system dir or program will not launch
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\system|*.*
; Need to exclude tvsutemp dir and updates.ser file to preserve hidden updates
ExcludeKey2=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\tvsutemp|*.*
ExcludeKey3=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\updates.ser
; To preserve in-program installation history, uncomment ExcludeKey4 (@ ~4KB/update)
;ExcludeKey4=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\|*.xml
Warning=This option will clear the ThinkVantage System Update in-program installation history.  However, this will not result prompting/installing updates again.

I hope you find it useful.

Edit: Further investigation showed that the in-program installation history is cleared unless the XML file for each update is retained. These updates have no well-defined naming scheme and are approximately 3KB in size (often with about 1KB of unrelated XML files each). Since I've not found any value to the installation history, I don't think it is worth the disk space, but since others may disagree I have added a warning and the option to exclude the necessary file.

Hi all,

Below is a winapp2.ini entry that I wrote for the Lenovo (formerly IBM) ThinkVantage System Update program. This is a software/driver update program installed on many late IBM and Lenovo desktop and laptop systems. The winapp2.ini entry cleans out the session directory, which holds all downloaded installers and temporary files and can easily grow to multiple GB in size (see many complaints about this across the web). I have tested the entry on ThinkVantage System Update version 4.01 running on Windows 7 and partially tested on ThinkVantage System Update version 3.15 on Windows XP (in a VM, which prevented full testing).

[ThinkVantage System Update*]
LangSecRef=3024
DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\tvsu.exe
Default=False
FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session|*.*|RECURSE
; Must exclude system dir or program will not launch
ExcludeKey1=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\system|*.*
; Need to exclude tvsutemp dir and updates.ser file to preserve hidden updates
ExcludeKey2=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\tvsutemp|*.*
ExcludeKey3=FILE|%ProgramFiles%\Lenovo\System Update\session\updates.ser

I hope you find it useful.

Owning a T410 myself, I find this intriguing. Are you really sure it is safe to clean the session folder? Mine is 5GB with over 8,300 files & 1,200 folders. Is the installation history retained? Would you still have the ability to uninstall an update, if needed? Is there any other "downside?"

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Owning a T410 myself, I find this intriguing. Are you really sure it is safe to clean the session folder? Mine is 5GB with over 8,300 files & 1,200 folders. Is the installation history retained? Would you still have the ability to uninstall an update, if needed? Is there any other "downside?"

I've been clearing out the session folder for years on my computers and haven't seen any problems. The updates are still uninstallable via Add/Remove Programs (TVSU really just downloads the exe/msi and runs it with a set of pre-programmed command-line switches).

The one downside that I am aware of is that reinstalling an update requires re-downloading the update, since the installer is removed. Also, now that you mentioned it, I just found that the in-program installation history is also cleared. This doesn't cause updates to be re-installed (since each update has a detection signature which looks for registry keys and/or files installed by the update), but the list of installed updates in TVSU is now empty. I haven't found a way to avoid this yet... I'll add a warning if I can't find one soon.

I haven't tested what would happen with deferred updates (since I have never used them before), but I will test that shortly.

Edit: To amend the downsides: The in-program banner advertisements are re-downloaded (as they are when the ads change) and the updates list is re-downloaded (as it is when new updates are added by Lenovo). They don't strike me as significant, but I thought I should mention them for completeness.

Edit2: Deferred updates are unaffected by cleaning (they are stored in tvsutemp which is already excluded).

Thanks for the follow-up & additional testing, kevinoid. :) I guess I could always backup the session folder before using the cleaner... just until I'm sure everything is still working properly.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

I should probably know the answer to this but right this second it's bed time and have a bit of a brain freeze.

c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\ virtualstore is hard to maintain, it seems. I have a bunch of junk that's not even on this particular computer anymore sitting in that folder, including what looks like a bunch of different Winapp2.ini (partial downloads?). I guess it's best to just pick through them and figure out what's what and whats not?

Thanks.

I should probably know the answer to this but right this second it's bed time and have a bit of a brain freeze.

c:\users\[username]\appdata\local\ virtualstore is hard to maintain, it seems. I have a bunch of junk that's not even on this particular computer anymore sitting in that folder, including what looks like a bunch of different Winapp2.ini (partial downloads?). I guess it's best to just pick through them and figure out what's what and whats not?

Thanks.

Ok I start:

Delt:

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Java\jre6\launch4j-tmp

I would suggest to have a serperat fiel/area for the virtualStore with under option for diffrent programms because every programm put there other things.

New version of cc is out hopefully we will get a update to the ini with the skype db fix that erroneously deletes contacts list

BTW what happened to my post about the use of "%programfiles%\common files" instead of "%commonprogramfiles%", it seems to have been deleted

[Windows Live Messenger More*]
FileKey8=%ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Windows Live\.cache|*.*|RECURSE

Hi

This erases the ShellBags and MRU list - a list of visited folders and individual settings for each of these folders.

A goodie for paranoid people who won't leave traces.

[Windows XP ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

[Windows XP MUICache*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

[Windows 7 ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

[Windows 7 MUICache*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache\
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

EDIT: removed and separated the 7 MUICache from ShellBags.

Hi

This erases the ShellBags and MRU list - a list of visited folders and individual settings for each of these folders.

A goodie for paranoid people who won't leave traces.

[Windows XP ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags

[Windows XP MUICache*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache

[Windows 7 ShellBags*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\BagMRU
RegKey2=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags

[Windows 7 MUICache*]
LangSecRef=3025
Detect=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache\
Default=False
RegKey1=HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\MuiCache

EDIT: removed and separated the 7 MUICache from ShellBags.

Windows XP MUI cache is already in winapp2. Are the BagMRUs the same as the 'Window size/location cache' that CCleaner already cleans?

New Entries

[AM-DeadLink*]

Default=False

Detect=HKCU\Software\aignes\deadlink

LangSecRef=3022

FileKey1=%AppData%\aignes\AM-DeadLink|deadlink.log

[KC Software SUMo*]

Default=False

Detect=HKCU\Software\KC Softwares\SUMo

LangSecRef=3022

FileKey1=%AppData%\KC Softwares\SUMo|db.bak

[Yahoo Messenger Chat Icons*]

LangSecRef=3022

DetectFile=%ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Messenger\

Warning=This will delete all chat user-defined display pictures.

Default=False

FileKey1=%ProgramFiles%\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\*\My Icons|*.*

FileKey2=%AppData%\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\Profiles\*\My Icons|*.*

Code to clean up after a TuneUp Utilities 2011 registry compact/defrag.

[TuneUp Utilities 2011 Reg Defrag Cleanup**]
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKCU\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\10.0
Default=False
FileKey1=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SECURITY_tureg_old
FileKey2=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SOFTWARE_tureg_old
FileKey3=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SYSTEM_tureg_old
FileKey4=%WinDir%\System32\config\|DEFAULT_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey5=%WinDir%\System32\config\|DEFAULT_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey6=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SAM_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey7=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SAM_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey8=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SECURITY_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey9=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SECURITY_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey10=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SOFTWARE_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey11=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SOFTWARE_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey12=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SYSTEM_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey13=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SYSTEM_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey14=%WinDir%\System32\config\|DEFAULT_tureg_old
FileKey15=%WinDir%\System32\config\|SAM_tureg_old
FileKey16=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old
FileKey17=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey18=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey19=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old
FileKey20=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey21=%WinDir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey22=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows|USRCLASS.DAT_tureg_old
FileKey23=%USERPROFILE%\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey24=%USERPROFILE%\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey25=%USERPROFILE%\|NTUSER.DAT_tureg_old
FileKey26=C:\Boot\|BCD_tureg_new.LOG1
FileKey27=C:\Boot\|BCD_tureg_new.LOG2
FileKey28=C:\Boot\|BCD_tureg_old

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.