nonexistent programs in Applications tab

Some programs that are no longer on the computer still appear in the Applications tab in the Cleaner. Even after reinstalling CCleaner, it still shows checkboxes for programs that were removed long ago. I think this only occurs with portable applications. If it's impossible to detect when portable applications are removed, these entries should at least be deleted when CCleaner is uninstalled (isn't it kind of hypocritical for CCleaner to leave these behind anyway)

• Moderators

Usually that is bcause there is still either a file or folder left for the application still on your hard drive, or that there is still an entry left for it in the registry usually in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

O.K., so I have check boxes in CCleaner applications tab for Adobe Acrobat 9.0 and Adobe Acrobat 10.0. Acrobat was never installed on my computer, but Adobe Reader is.

So do I go through the registry and manually delete every occurrence of "Acrobat"? Or would that be a risky thing to do?

• Moderators

Hi there,

Please use command line to export embedded INI files.

ccleaner.exe /export [folder path]

Thanks

MrT

Do that then open the resulting winapp.ini in notepad (or other txt editor) and search for the programs you don't have that are listed. The "Detect" listed will tell you what you need to delete.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Do I understand you correctly that I should edit the winapp.ini (ignoring the warning at the top which says not to edit it) by looking at every line that has a "Detect" and then deleting that line if it refers to a file I do not have -- or should I delete every section with a bracketed [title] that is about an application that I do not have -- and then saving the edited winapp.ini?

You were NOT told to EDIT AND SAVE the file.

You were advised that you could OPEN and obtain information which suggests the presence of ADOBE stuff.

You need to delete the JUNK on your system.

You were NOT told to EDIT AND SAVE the file.

You were advised that you could OPEN and obtain information which suggests the presence of ADOBE stuff.

You need to delete the JUNK on your system.

LOL, are you nuts? Drunk, so early in the morning? Crawl back into your hole and save your shouting for the next footie match, you hooligan.

• Moderators

If I was you, I would follow the advice posted by hazelnut above, and check through the list of software in each location ...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software

or

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software

That would be my first port of call before trying anything else, as it's a two minute job to scan down two lists. You wouldn't be trawling through the registry.

If I was you, I would follow the advice posted by hazelnut above, and check through the list of software in each location ...

That would be my first port of call before trying anything else, as it's a two minute job to scan down two lists. You wouldn't be trawling through the registry.

But those two locations are in the registry.

• Moderators
So do I go through the registry and manually delete every occurrence of "Acrobat"? Or would that be a risky thing to do?

You're missing the point I'm trying to make in answer to this quote from your earlier post, which makes it sound like a long tedious job, in other words "trawling through the registry".

The usual cause of a program appearing in CCleaner which a user doesn't have installed, is an entry in one of those two locations. Each one is a simple list ...

If you see the program you don't have in either list, just right click and delete it.

• Moderators

Remove the following registry entires

HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\9.0

and

HKCU\Software\Adobe\Acrobat Reader\10.0

and those two programs will not show on ccleaner

you insinuated there were more programs than that, thus I gave you the instructions for how to get the file which would tell you what to look for. Not everything is detected by ccleaner via the presence of registry keys, some are found by files/folders. The file I told you to create will allow you to quickly (by using find) jump to the program that are discovered and the detect key will tell you what to delete from the Registry or the harddrive.

And yes, Alan_B please use a little more restraint in talking to members.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

And yes, Alan_B please use a little more restraint in talking to members.

I did not bark at him - but he snarled at me and then he claimed he was nice ! !

He was already prepared to edit his registry and you confirmed that would be appropriate.

You then gave further advice upon how to examine WinApp.ini to find other things to be deleted.

It was self evident that the intention had been to fix problems in his computer.

Somehow he interpreted your advice as an invitation to modify the ability of CCleaner to detect problems in the computer.

It seemed to me appropriate to emphasise that editing and saving a damaged WinApp.ini was not appropriate.