System volume information

Biscuit

Hi

I downloaded Defraggler to run on my Windows 7 32bit pc. I have used Defraggler before on my old XP machine, but I had thought that W7 defragged on it's own.

I ran quick run last night & a full run this morning. Both times, it left 4 large "System Volume information" files.

2 questions please...

Is there a way to defrag the System volume information files, or should I just turn off system restore, run a defrag 7 then turn system restore back on?

Does the full defrag also defrag free space?

Thanks

I would recommend to install ERUNT, it's - IMO - better than System Restore. Or try the new version ERUNTgui.

Question: Does DF allow you defrag manually those files ? Perhaps Win 7 doesn't allow the user to defrag those files ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I would recommend to install ERUNT, it's - IMO - better than System Restore. Or try the new version ERUNTgui.

Question: Does DF allow you defrag manually those files ? Perhaps Win 7 doesn't allow the user to defrag those files ?

Thanks for your reply. I will check out Erunt.

I am also not able to manually defrag the system restore files.

I am also not able to manually defrag the system restore files.

Defraggler doesn't do it because they are protected system files. But Steve Diggs claims you can with Windows Defragger. I haven't tested it.

Right click your system drive ➤ Properties ➤ toolsDefragment now. Afterward check with Defraggler to see if they were actually defragged.

Update. Curiosity spurred me to test the Diggs claim that Windows Defragger actually defrags the SVI.

Pre defrag I have 10.0GB SVI with 11 points. YLofQ.jpg

Post defrag I have 12.0GB SVI with 11 points. 7KeQJ.jpg

Except for two groups, the SVI blocks are in the center, and most of the center is occupied by SVI.

I see little (if any) SVI defrag.