SmartClose

Icedrake

http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/index.htm?http://bmproductions.fixnum.org/smartclose/index.htm

It's basically a snapshot program that can take a snapshot of your system, and then return it to that state later. This is definitely a great program if you like to try out new programs frequently, as all you have to do is take a snapshot before you install the programs, then restore the snapshot once you're done messing around with the program. All traces of the program will be gone, according to this MakeUseOf review of this utility.

It's also freeware, and the installer is only 687 KB. :o

• Moderators

I think I will wait a bit before giving it a try. If you read the faq's it has quite a few limitations, and there are other apps out there which do a more comprehensive job.

However it's interesting.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If I take a snapshot and then pop in a CD and then discover it is installing LINUX on top of my Windows,

should I panic ?

I prefer to trust Macrium with its Boot CD to restore my system regardless of user stupidity.

If I take a snapshot and then pop in a CD and then discover it is installing LINUX on top of my Windows,

should I panic ?

I prefer to trust Macrium with its Boot CD to restore my system regardless of user stupidity.

Whoever said this was an operating system restore program?

I'm not sure if there's any justification for such a program, it says it helps to avoid conflicts but in reality who would be foolish enough to defrag their hard drive while burning a DVD etc??

Personally if I wanted to test software and roll back then I would use a virtualizer like VirtualBox (which is also free).

VirtualBox can run an OS inside an OS like a video recorder: pause, stop, rewind at different positions.

It also has USB 2.0, 2d/3d graphics pass-though capability which should be enough to satisfy most applications.

Richard S.

Whoever said this was an operating system restore program?

You said

"take a snapshot before you install the programs, then restore the snapshot once you're done messing around with the program."

When you install a program you may cause changes to the registry, and worse - who knows ?

All you know is that you are installing something that you may not like,

and SmartClose offers to be better than a job than running an uninstaller which may leave residue everywhere.

But sometimes what you download has an accidental fatal flaw that could trash your system,

and sometimes what you download may be a zero day type malware.

If all you want to do is preserve the registry then use ERUNT and for your files keep your fingers crossed ! !