CCleaner Community Forums
jcall

Defraggler 2.03 - This version is very slow - previous versions are ok.

To whom it may concern,

I have used Defraggler since version 1.04 . I've been extremely happy with it (especially compared to the OS defrag).

I am a Software Engineer, I usually don't complain as I understand what sometimes seems like a small enhancement can amount to a huge modification for the application programmers.

However, I find I must say that I've found the defragment operation of version 2.03 to be 3 - 5 times slower than version 2.02 .

There should be very little difference in speed from version to version as this is handled primarily by the OS API. Possibly it is a loop somewhere in the code that misses a limit then goes up to the language max (since it appears to be slow for each non-contiguous piece defragged). In my experience it can sometimes be a global type or value that can cause the. Or maybe object logic, not sure.

Anyway, hopefully this is not asking for the world (i.e. hopefully a trivial fix for you).

I've re-installed 2.02, so for now I'm a happy camper.

Thank you.

John Callaghan, Eng.

The Developers read all threads (though rarely comment) so they should see this and may ask for further information or testing.

I am a Software Engineer, I usually don't complain as I understand what sometimes seems like a small enhancement can amount to a huge modification for the application programmers.

However, I find I must say that I've found the defragment operation of version 2.03 to be 3 - 5 times slower than version 2.02 .

There should be very little difference in speed from version to version as this is handled primarily by the OS API. Possibly it is a loop somewhere in the code that misses a limit then goes up to the language max (since it appears to be slow for each non-contiguous piece defragged). In my experience it can sometimes be a global type or value that can cause the. Or maybe object logic, not sure

They have in 2.03 speeded up the defrag a lot on my FAT filesystem partition, for me it's been the best release so far but perhaps you have discovered a regression. I am suspecting it may be slower when compacting many small files during full defrag, after I did some software uninstalling in an NTFS partition, but I don't think I could repeat it easily trying with an older version.

A bug I found & reported in the Bug Report section of forum, caused massive fragmentation of the $Mft. To provide more info, I was asked to create a debug logfile to upload and submit that in the Bug Reporting part of the forum.