Defraggler 2.03 - This version is very slow - previous versions are ok.

jcall

To whom it may concern,

I have used Defraggler since version 1.04 . I've been extremely happy with it (especially compared to the OS defrag).

I am a Software Engineer, I usually don't complain as I understand what sometimes seems like a small enhancement can amount to a huge modification for the application programmers.

However, I find I must say that I've found the defragment operation of version 2.03 to be 3 - 5 times slower than version 2.02 .

There should be very little difference in speed from version to version as this is handled primarily by the OS API. Possibly it is a loop somewhere in the code that misses a limit then goes up to the language max (since it appears to be slow for each non-contiguous piece defragged). In my experience it can sometimes be a global type or value that can cause the. Or maybe object logic, not sure.

Anyway, hopefully this is not asking for the world (i.e. hopefully a trivial fix for you).

I've re-installed 2.02, so for now I'm a happy camper.

Thank you.

John Callaghan, Eng.

• Moderators

The Developers read all threads (though rarely comment) so they should see this and may ask for further information or testing.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I am a Software Engineer, I usually don't complain as I understand what sometimes seems like a small enhancement can amount to a huge modification for the application programmers.

However, I find I must say that I've found the defragment operation of version 2.03 to be 3 - 5 times slower than version 2.02 .

There should be very little difference in speed from version to version as this is handled primarily by the OS API. Possibly it is a loop somewhere in the code that misses a limit then goes up to the language max (since it appears to be slow for each non-contiguous piece defragged). In my experience it can sometimes be a global type or value that can cause the. Or maybe object logic, not sure

They have in 2.03 speeded up the defrag a lot on my FAT filesystem partition, for me it's been the best release so far but perhaps you have discovered a regression. I am suspecting it may be slower when compacting many small files during full defrag, after I did some software uninstalling in an NTFS partition, but I don't think I could repeat it easily trying with an older version.

A bug I found & reported in the Bug Report section of forum, caused massive fragmentation of the $Mft. To provide more info, I was asked to create a debug logfile to upload and submit that in the Bug Reporting part of the forum.