Java update installs McAfee

hazelnut

• Moderators

Take care when updating Java (if you use it) as McAfee Security Scan Plus is ticked by default at install.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9215021/Java_updates_may_include_annoying_McAfee_scanner

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

:unsure: Did I miss something? When did everyone stop using Java & why? Doesn't Java basically run...everything...on the internet? What do you use as a replacement?

Thanks for the heads-up, Hazelnut. I always check for sneaky ticked boxes during all installations.

Corona, Java isn't the same as Java Script it's a programming language that predates flash apps to run Java applets.

Although it's not widely used for web pages anymore it's still a requirement for certain stand alone apps written in Java.

Richard S.

• Moderators

It must be over two years since I binned Java, and I've only hit one site I couldn't use, a broadband speed test site which used a Java Applet instead of Flash.

And there are plenty of alternatives that use Flash.

• Moderators

:unsure: Did I miss something? When did everyone stop using Java & why?

In my case I was tired of the exploits it could impose on a system, and who knows when visiting some random website what it could do on the system. That and I rarely used it for anything so it was just gobbling up hard disk space that could be used for something I'd use more frequently.

It must be over two years since I binned Java, and I've only hit one site I couldn't use, a broadband speed test site which used a Java Applet instead of Flash.

And there are plenty of alternatives that use Flash.

It's the same for allot of software that requires Java, I've seen several software titles I've wanted to use however they require Java (in fact allot of GPL software uses it for some reason) however I've always found another free alternative that doesn't require it.

Redhawk said:

Corona, Java isn't the same as Java Script it's a programming language that predates flash apps to run Java applets.

Although it's not widely used for web pages anymore it's still a requirement for certain stand alone apps written in Java.

Okay, that right there makes me about as smart as a doorstop. I didn't know Java & Java Script were 2 different things. So when I download new versions of Java Runtime from Filehippo, is it the safer thing or is it the nasty wasty of yore? I'd assume it's okay. (I don't visit pr0n sites, etc.)

So, is Flash the alternative to Java? I'm still a bit confused here. Andavari, I've never heard you (or anybody) rant against Java before so this hit me as something unusual. Flash usually gets the screaming rants from everyone for whatever reasons.

Unless you use Java based apps, don't install Java - period.

JavaScript was named JavaScript because Java was very popular at the time (actually, the "true" name of the language is ECMAScript - JavaScript is Mozilla's name for it, JScript is Microsoft's...)

Flash is used very widely on the internet (Youtube, for example), it is a necessary evil (and modern browsers, a.k.a IE and Chrome, sandbox it).

To give you an idea of how badly Java is written...Java 1.6 has received 23 updates each fixing tens of vulnerabilities, e.g. the 22th fixed 28 remotely exploitable vulnerabilities (in layman's terms : you don't need to do anything at all to be infected).

In comparison, Microsoft's .NET Framework, in its two latest versions (3.x and 4) had only 10 vulnerabilities.

Some time ago, Java was very popular on "applets" on the web (small programs embedded in a webpage), but hardly anyone uses them now.

And the language in itself is pretty weak when compared to C# anyway.

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

Andavari, I've never heard you (or anybody) rant against Java before so this hit me as something unusual. Flash usually gets the screaming rants from everyone for whatever reasons.

I do respect Java's ability for cross-platform applications.

Unless you use Java based apps, don't install Java - period.

That's the whole gist of it right there.

I'll get rid of it if that's the best course. Can you give examples of any current popular apps or online thingies that rely on Java Script? :mellow:

JavaScript is used everywhere on the web. Your browser contains a JavaScript interpreter.

It is not, however, used on desktop apps.

Piriform French translator

Aethec, in one post you mentioned:

Some time ago, Java was very popular on "applets" on the web (small programs embedded in a webpage), but hardly anyone uses them now.

In the last post you said:

JavaScript is used everywhere on the web. Your browser contains a JavaScript interpreter.

This isn't helping me much. I guess I'm gonna have to try uninstalling JavaScript and see what works and what doesn't. Kinda scary scenario.

• Moderators

This isn't helping me much. I guess I'm gonna have to try uninstalling JavaScript and see what works and what doesn't. Kinda scary scenario.

You can't uninstall JavaScript it's part of your web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc), sorry for laughing at you :lol: since it's built into almost every webpage you look at nowadays - sure you can disable it in your web browsers but you'll quickly find out most websites (including this forum) won't work without it enabled (although I do temporarily disable it if visiting a website I know nothing about to avoid any possible exploits/infections).

If you wanted to uninstall something it would be Java, however make sure you don't have any software installed that requires it first. If you uninstall it make sure you use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove it and one of it's scan levels to more completely remove it.

------------------------

Edited twice.

Butting in to ask about Java. Taking suggestion to uninstall JAVA, I find two entries: JAVA 6 update 24 and JAVA TM SE Runtime Environment 6. Should they both go? The two of them consist of 190MB. So, if not useful I'd like to do away with them. Am I safe in doing so?

Mudd

• Moderators

They could both be removed Mudd. Although it may not be necessary I'd recommend restarting your computer after removing them.

Edit:

If you use anything like OpenOffice.org it will complain about Java not being installed.

They could both be removed Mudd. Although it may not be necessary I'd recommend restarting your computer after removing them.

Edit:

If you use anything like OpenOffice.org it will complain about Java not being installed.

Thank you Sir. I will do exactly that. I don't use Open Office.org. I'm sure as I don't know what it is!!

Mudd

You can't uninstall JavaScript it's part of your web browsers (IE, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc), sorry for laughing at you :lol: since it's built into almost every webpage you look at nowadays - sure you can disable it in your web browsers but you'll quickly find out most websites (including this forum) won't work without it enabled (although I do temporarily disable it if visiting a website I know nothing about to avoid any possible exploits/infections).

If you wanted to uninstall something it would be Java, however make sure you don't have any software installed that requires it first. If you uninstall it make sure you use Revo Uninstaller Free to remove it and one of it's scan levels to more completely remove it.

------------------------

Edited twice.

I don't believe I have what you call (old) JAVA installed. That sounds like a Win98/Sun breach. I have a new pooter with Win 7 64-bit. I don't want old crap on it. I have Revo, it works well, especially with Quicktime mess-ups.

Here's the stance...You are comparing JavaScript (which is normal everyday use of internet) with JAVA (which is older {SNIP} and of no value today.

Well, why not lay out the differences instead of keeping us crazy people from freaking out.

(I don't use Open Office either.)

If you want to know what apps use Java try this:

1. Go to http://win.softpedia.com/

2. Search for: Java

You're now presented with a list of Java applications, note that there's also some JavaScript stuff mixed in too.

For what it's worth, uninstalling JAVA cleared 2,056 entries from Registry.

Mudd