Mozilla Firefox 4

iuseccleaner

So far I'm really liking it a lot. It's making me consider switching from Opera actually.

I've tried the RC releases and like them, but Opera still feels slightly faster to me.

XP Home SP3.

My only complaint about Opera is that the favicons don't always work, but I think for now, I'll keep Opera as default, but maybe not for long.

Strange though, I tried to update RC2 and it says it's up to date and version number is 4.

Update history says RC2.

I uninstalled and re-installed 4 (which I've had) over, because I didn't want the folder to be called \Mozilla Firefox Beta 2\ anymore for the final release. :P

I am sad though, no x64 support officially yet, seems like a large oversight considering the amount of work they put in... perhaps in firefox 5, beta 27806

I've tried the RC releases and like them, but Opera still feels slightly faster to me.

I think so too. On "lightweight" sites, I don't see a difference between Opera, Firefox, or Chrome/Iron. However on resource-intensive sites like eBay for example, Opera uses less CPU and loads the page faster. Also with Opera, you can scroll smoothly as the page loads, whereas Firefox and Iron are jumpy for me as the page loads. It's for those reasons that I've stuck with Opera for so long.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

It seems fast, but I really don't care for the GUI change, it will definitely take some getting used to.

I've already ran into a bug when posting on the forums in that it will sometimes not allow you to type in more without a long pause, I had to wait about 1 full minute earlier for it to respond again. If they don't fix that issue in the next update or so I'll completely dump it and starting using a Chrome varient sooner than later!

• Moderators

I haven't seen anything like that, Andavari, and I've been using it (and minefield) since first beta :o

You're lucky then. I'm already into the chore of configuring Opera, but I'll only stick with it so long as one of it's old bugs doesn't bite again.

I think so too. On "lightweight" sites, I don't see a difference between Opera, Firefox, or Chrome/Iron. However on resource-intensive sites like eBay for example, Opera uses less CPU and loads the page faster. Also with Opera, you can scroll smoothly as the page loads, whereas Firefox and Iron are jumpy for me as the page loads. It's for those reasons that I've stuck with Opera for so long.

Interesting observations. I'm liking FF4 more and more. I'm considering making it my default, FWIW.

Being a newb to FF4, I started with AdblockPlus, but discovered it really slowed things down. I found out about Adban and for me, it's much better, much faster. It also seemed to speed up loading of pages with ads, not so 'jumpy'?

But, I'm not really a power user.

Just a thought.

Faster than FF 3.6, its slick, minimalistic like Chrome but still has trouble handling Flash and hardware acceleration sometimes. But I would prefer this one over the previous FF and IE9.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

I haven't seen anything like that, Andavari, and I've been using it (and minefield) since first beta :o

I forgot to mention that I completely fixed that issue. I had to uninstall Firefox 3 first, reboot, and then install Firefox 4.

• Moderators

I started with AdblockPlus, but discovered it really slowed things down. I found out about Adban and for me, it's much better, much faster. It also seemed to speed up loading of pages with ads, not so 'jumpy'?

I've been using Adblock Plus including it's own add-on Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper for so long now I wouldn't really notice any slowdown, however it's know if you use too many subscription lists that it can in fact cause a slowdown - well that was some years ago I don't know how they changed things now since I only subscribe to the built-in EasyList (English), and also the Fanboy Adblock list.

Firefox 4 for all purposes is really fast, not even Opera 11.01 was as fast as it is on my system.

Faster than FF 3.6, its slick, minimalistic like Chrome but still has trouble handling Flash and hardware acceleration sometimes.

If you have an Nvidia display/graphics card the Adobe Flash hardware acceleration is a known bug. If you disable hardware acceleration in Flash that fixes issues with videos being doubled with a green bar inbetween them for instance on YouTube, etc. I don't know if that's exactly what you're mentioning or not, however if it is check out this topic I wrote.