Firefox 4 rc1 ridiculously slow cache cleaning

pepe2

removing 800 mb of cache from Firefox 4 rc1 took 115 seconds with Ccleaner 3.04.1389

why on earth does it have to be this slow to remove 800 mb of data?

cleaning the cache from firefox 3 didnt take this long

my computer is a intel i7 920, 6 gig ram, samsung f3 harddrive, windows 7 64 bit

FF4 RC here. Hadn't noticed. Anecdotal problem?

well, to reproduce this bug u have to accumulate 800 mb of cache I guess. (around 65 000 files was deleted)

and you have to close firefox for ccleaner to clean it

and a non-ssd harddrive similar to samsung f3

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered that clearing the cache from within firefox 4 settings uses the same amount of time as doing it from ccleaner...

so it looks like this is not a CCleaner-bug....

I wonder why cleaning up the firefox cache takes so long...didnt have this problem with firefox 3.X, only 4.0.

I have overridden automatic cache management in firefox settings, under options->advanced>-network..

I put it to 250 mb.....now it takes just a few seconds to clear the cache with ccleaner ...

otherwise the cache would rise to 1gb after a day of surfing...

• Moderators

The slow cleaning in Firefox with various cleaners not just CCleaner can be caused by Compacting Database, aka Vacuuming the SQLite files. I'll tell you I've completely switched to Opera and CCleaner now cleans my system in about 1 second flat versus several seconds waiting for it to clean Firefox v3.6.x and the new v4.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I put it to 250 mb.....now it takes just a few seconds to clear the cache with ccleaner ...

otherwise the cache would rise to 1gb after a day of surfing...

I've noticed how slow Firefox is to clean its own cache so it isn't a CCleaner problem. I will try your tip of setting a limit on the Firefox cache too and see how things go from there.