Malware Immunization

I'm not entirely sure if this is the correct section of the forum to be posting this, but it seems appropriate.

I would like to see an immunization feature, either built-in to CCleaner as an additional feature or as a completely new program.

Everyone has heard of Spybot Search & Destroy. It has an immunization feature which will help protect the computer from future infections by "vaccinating" system files and various browser aspects. There is also a program called SpywareBlaster and it performs the same function. The reason I am suggesting this is not because I dislike the aforementioned programs, but rather because SpywareBlaster has not seen any new definition updates in quite some time and Spybot S&D is a hassle to launch, update and immunize (considering the fact that the program is made for the specific purpose of removing malware)

• Moderators

CCleaner is not a security product.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner is not a security product.

CCleaner is not made for the purpose of removing and/or preventing malware. However, using a system cleaning utility such as CCleaner can help protect your security by deleting browser cookies, cache, history, etc.

That being said, I have to confess that I had no idea where to post this. I did not see a General Suggestions section of the forum. I did see the blog update, posted on the 12th of January, and he hints at two new products that are being developed. I can only hope that one (if not both) of them will be related to malware removal and/or prevention.

• Moderators

SpywareBlaster has not seen any new definition updates

You need to click the Updates item on the left, the current database version is: 02-19-2011

If you have updating issues you may need to change settings in Updates->Options, or ask for help on their official forums.

• Moderators

I think Spybot's immunize just updates your HOSTS file. You can just update using MVPS' HOSTS file.

Here is the latest in MVPS' Hosts http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=30972&st=0&p=188029entry188029

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I think Spybot's immunize just updates your HOSTS file.

It also blocks sites in web browsers, although I personally don't like the amount of stuff it inserts into Firefox because it makes looking at blocked sites and cookies take forever to load -- better to use AdBlock Plus and a HOSTS file in my opinion.

It also blocks sites in web browsers, although I personally don't like the amount of stuff it inserts into Firefox because it makes looking at blocked sites and cookies take forever to load -- better to use AdBlock Plus and a HOSTS file in my opinion.

Does Spybot have an "undo" feature so that you can de-immunize a computer?

• Moderators

Also note that allot of what SpyBot-S&D blocks is already covered by SpywareBlaster, and there is some overlapping between the two. So with that said if you remove Spybot's immunization you have to start SpywareBlaster and Enable All Protection -- and vice versa.

Edit:

I've never used PeerBlock.

For those that don't know...

PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries! They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.

I would recommend giving it a try. Simply uninstalling the program will remove all restrictions set in place by the app.