Opera 11.01 bookmaarkk icons

jwall

Question for the Opera users:

I recently did a fresh install of Opera 11.01. I started setting up my bookmarked pages and they all have the icons from their respective sites. Now, though I'm getting the generic (star) icon for some pages I bookmark. Any ideas?

I've tried clearing out history, cache, etc., but nothing seems to work.

I really don't want to do a fresh install. I tried a reinstall through add/remove programs, but that didn't help.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

You have to uncheck "website icons" in CCleaner or else they will be cleared. Just a thought.

Thanks, but no go.

I'm pretty sure that it's an Opera problem.

The forum there is not too friendly to newbs though.

I may have to try that however.

Weird, I haven't gotten this issue. o.O I do get my favicons cleared when I use CCleaner, but they reappear when I revisit that website.

Thanks guys.

The main problem is, one site I had bookmarked, with the proper icon (favicon), I deleted and when I tried to bookmark it again, I get the generic icon (star).

New sites I bookmark show up properly. When I get the generic start on the bookmark, it also shows up on the tab.

I've tried different skins too.

The forum there is not too friendly to newbs though.

I may have to try that however.

For an Opera-specific issue like this, that might be the best place to ask. I agree that it's not newbie friendly at all, so good luck! Despite Opera being such great software, their official forum sure has a lot of j*rks! :)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

Installed Opera 11.01 and ran the previous version of CCleaner and bookmark favicons remain intact.

Ran the latest version of CCleaner and the same thing.

Ran the latest CCleaner with my 10.63 version and all favicons still intact.

CCleaner is doing as it should and is only deleting non-bookmarked site favicons.

I will say that occasionally, CCleaner appears to take the odd bookmarked favicon by mistake, but that might possibly be an issue with that particular site which I hadn't noticed. If their favicon is missing or has a glitch for whatever reason, I'm sure CCleaner replicates that in the bookmark.

• Moderators

I forgot to mention, I regularly back up both the "icons" and the "thumbnails" (speed dial images) folders found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera: (view hidden folders)

Since CCleaner first messed these up many versions ago, I keep regularly updated back ups just in case.

• Moderators

More weird goings on with Opera 11.01 for me.

I launched it late last night and although it originally kept all bookmark favicons, this time they were completely stripped out. I was gonna post this info but something came up and I had log off.

When I fired up my PC later last night and launched Opera, they were all back again. Very strange.

For whatever reason, I think Opera just didn't pick up the "icons" folder and it's contents, which it later did. That's the only reason I can come up with.

Back with good old reliable 10.63 now.

More weird goings on with Opera 11.01 for me.

I launched it late last night and although it originally kept all bookmark favicons, this time they were completely stripped out. I was gonna post this info but something came up and I had log off.

When I fired up my PC later last night and launched Opera, they were all back again. Very strange.

For whatever reason, I think Opera just didn't pick up the "icons" folder and it's contents, which it later did. That's the only reason I can come up with.

Back with good old reliable 10.63 now.

Yeah, strange alright. Opera 11.00 worked fine for me, only Opera 11.01 is giving me problems.

I'm almost ready to jump ship, but at least it isn't as bad as the early 10 versions. 10.63 is reliable and stable, but 11.0x is rippin' fast.

Yeah, strange alright. Opera 11.00 worked fine for me, only Opera 11.01 is giving me problems.

I'm almost ready to jump ship, but at least it isn't as bad as the early 10 versions. 10.63 is reliable and stable, but 11.0x is rippin' fast.

UPDATE:

Well, I didn't want to, but I uninstalled Opera, deleted all Opera folders,and cleared the registry as best I could, then installed Opera 11.01 again.

All the icons work except for the two I was having problems with, mainly avast.com. It still has the generic icon.

Of course peeps at the avast forum say they see their icons, so....

It worked in srware iron though. I have uninstalled that however.

I guess I'll live with it. Who knows, it may just start working again. It's just a mystery why it showed at first then disappeared???

• Moderators

As far as Avast is concerned, it isn't you. Avast gives me the generic icon both in the bookmark folder and setting a bookmark onto the address bar.

Avast is the arrowed icon. There may be a setting to change which would make it show up like other sites, but I'm not aware of it.

As far as Avast is concerned, it isn't you. Avast gives me the generic icon both in the bookmark folder and setting a bookmark onto the address bar.

Avast is the arrowed icon. There may be a setting to change which would make it show up like other sites, but I'm not aware of it.

Whew! Well that gives me peace of mind, thank man! :D