CCleaner Registry Backup

Hatty

I've had errors randomly appear on my computer. I decided to try to use the CCleaner Registry Cleaner backup to restore some of the registry files. However, every time I tried to restore it, I received a message like "Registry Editor: Cannot import... Error accessing the registry." I then tried to restore a backup file from one of the first times I had used the cleaner. It worked.

The only thing I can figure was that the backup I could not restore had a name change as the date for easy filing purposes. Example: The one restored was cc_20091004_082257.reg, while my renamed one was 2-10-11.reg.

Was this the cause? If so, how can I use this backup? Can I find someway to find the original name of the backup?

• Moderators

Name change wouldn't matter. What OS version are you using? If Vista or Seven run regedit.exe then from the file menu choose import.

For further reference next time you use any registry cleaner use the advice in my signature.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

From now on I will use caution when using the registry cleaner. I am using Windows XP and I have tried several methods to add it back in, such as just double clicking it, trying to import, trying to merge, but none on those worked.

• Moderators

There's probably a single entry in the reg file that is throwing off the import (thus my "little bits" advice. What security (antivirus/firewall etc) software do you use. If you want you can PM me the registry file and I'll look through it to see if I can figure out what's blocking it (no promises but I'll try)

If you want to do this, change the .reg to .txt Please note that the PM is only to transfer the file privatly I'm not will to converse in the PM about the acutal issue

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Ok I've looked at the registry that won't restore

It could be that because you are running Norton Antivirus and you removed a couple of norton's hidden reg entries

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{934FDD8D-9B5B-4f69-975C-36325AAE8A0D}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Norton Security Suite\\Engine\\4.2.0.12\\RScan.dll"
"ThreadingModel"="Free"

and

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{934FDD8D-9B5B-4f69-975C-36325AAE8A0D}]
@="N360 RegClean Class"

as well as some others, norton is stoping you from overwriting the remade entries. Try this start the computer in safe mode. Then disable Norton 360. Now try to restore the file. this still may not work but it is worth a try.

It worked :) . Thank you so much. I will always be more careful form now on when dealing with the registry. Also, I was debating on whether on not to use a different anti-virus instead of Nortons and this pretty much made my decision.

• Moderators

Also, I was debating on whether on not to use a different anti-virus instead of Nortons and this pretty much made my decision.

Allot of security software won't let their registry keys be messed with -- if they did malware could very easily disable them.

• Moderators

Yup Norton is especially secure when it comes to registry. It even uses a "malware trick" and checks to make sure it's registry is intact and if it isn't it puts the reg entry back.

@all Please note: There is no way for CCleaner (or any registry "fixer") not to see the Norton (and other anti-malware programs) registry entries as not being leftover . . . else the anti-malware would be easy to be disabled by malware.

You can always add the entries to your exclude list . . . though (as per my advice in my signature) it's redundant because you shouldn't be cleaning willy-nilly like that anywhat.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you were the answer to my prayers Nergal.

Merging says it has been successful in safe mode, but the problems remain the same. I can't disable Norton 360 in safe - it says it isn't working anyway. When I try to merge in normal windows I get the same error message Hatty got.

This started with a simple problem with iTunes and now I have a useless Netbook.

tina

I now have major trust issues; my nephew for recommending a fool-proof reg cleaner; back-up processes that fail and me - for being a total, complete idiot.

I'm apparent;y looking at a hard disk reformat. my notebook is out of warranty, won't log on to my user profile without first starting the new one I created as a bluff and then can't see my network.