What are the Differences

txauction

At http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds it shows 4 different builds.

CCleaner - Installer 2,935 kb - ccsetup303.exe

CCleaner - Portable Zip file, no installer 2,565 kb - ccsetup303.zip

CCleaner - PortableU3 For U3 compatible USB thumbdrives 2,650 kb - ccsetup303.u3p

CCleaner - Slim - Installer, no toolbar 2,087 kb - ccsetup303_slim.exe

I basically understand the difference between Portable and PortableU3.

It also states that Portable is the same as the Installer version (only doesn't have an installer).

So, what's the "toolbar" that is missing in the Slim version?

Are there any other differences not mentioned?

The reason I'm asking is because I tried to install the regular Download on a computer with no internet connection and it crashes during the install.

However, I was able to load the Slim version and it works just fine. It also looks just like the previous V2.x program that I am using on this computer (hooked up to the internet).

I don't want to update to V3.03 on this computer until I know what's causing the problem on the stand-alone computer, in case it's a bug in V3.03.

I have searched the website, read through all the FAQs and any other help pages I could find, as well as the blog, which only seems to announce updates being released. There doesn't seem to be anything regarding the actual differences and in the Bug Fix topic pinned to the top of this forum, it seems to indicate that no one responds to it anymore, since February 2009.

Is there anyone out there that knows what's going on?

• Moderators

Technically both the regular installer with the offers and slim version are the same. Let's say you opt-out of installing the Google software, well it won't ask you again for some time, also if you already have the Google software installed to my knowledge it won't ask you to install it.

• Moderators

and to finish things out

CCleaner - Portable Zip file, no installer 2,565 kb - ccsetup303.zip

Portable (no install build) automatically set (and locked into) save settings in INI mode.

CCleaner - PortableU3 For U3 compatible USB thumbdrives 2,650 kb - ccsetup303.u3p

Pretty much the same as above, but formated for the U3 Drives

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the clarifications!

So, since the portable versions are larger than the Slim version, do they also have the Google toolbar and other software nags built into them? Or is it only because they use the INI files to handle the settings?

From what I gather, if I don't want the Google software, then the Slim is best for a desktop computer.

There is no Google toolbar in the portable versions. Also, if you don't want Google software then you just need to uncheck the option to install in the normal installer.

There is no Google toolbar in the portable versions. Also, if you don't want Google software then you just need to uncheck the option to install in the normal installer.

The only problem is, as I noted in my original post and also reported in another post, it crashes during the install on another computer that I was trying to load it on (however the Slim version installed on it OK). So there is no option to uncheck, since it seems to crash around the point that it's about to ask if you want to install Google software or not.

If the program tends to crash on a computer without an internet connection, then it's not something I want on my other computers either, as that is an indicator that there's a glitch in the program.

Thanks, but I think I'll stick to using the Slim version, since other responders indicate it's the same thing without any of the Google software (which I don't want anyway). I was only trying to confirm the Portable builds don't have the Google nags (when friends and family call me for help with problems).

• Moderators

So, since the portable versions are larger than the Slim version

They're using standard ZIP archive format which can't compress as tightly as the installer builds which are perhaps using LZMA compression or whatever that's just better compression-level-wise to make them smaller.

They're using standard ZIP archive format which can't compress as tightly as the installer builds which are perhaps using LZMA compression or whatever that's just better compression-level-wise to make them smaller.

OK... that makes sense.

Thanks.