Auslogics

Eli

Hi

Yesterday I defragged + optimized the system with Auslogics disk defrag , after reboot ,system turned to a cold stone ,although able to reboot, nothing was operable, fortunately had the system restore on .

Question: Did any of you encounter such an incident ?

Thanks

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

• Moderators

Hi Eli.

I use Auslogics, mostly to compare the displayed results of Defraggler, and sometimes the other way around.

I've never had an issue, although I've only just noticed there's a newer version to mine, and I have never used the "Defrag and Optimize" setting. In fact I never use the "Optimize" setting with any defragger.

Not much more I can say really. It's always been OK for me (XP) with a basic defrag, and I can't find much regarding issues with a google search either.

Hi Eli.

I use Auslogics, mostly to compare the displayed results of Defraggler, and sometimes the other way around.

I've never had an issue, although I've only just noticed there's a newer version to mine, and I have never used the "Defrag and Optimize" setting. In fact I never use the "Optimize" setting with any defragger.

Not much more I can say really. It's always been OK for me (XP) with a basic defrag, and I can't find much regarding issues with a google search either.

Thank you Dennis I guess it was a sort of coincidence.I`m waiting for Auslogic`s support team regarding this matter.

I have the "move system files to the beginning of the disk" option checked under Algorithms and run the "defrag & optimize" option once a week. I've never had a problem.

I have the same settings as yours + skip files larger than 50 MB, and this is the first time it happened after a year of use.

• Moderators

Do you occasionally run Check Disk ("chkdsk") in Windows though? Some say "never use it," but if you're defragging often it can't hurt to use it once per week, as there has to be a very good reason even Windows Disk Defragmenter won't run if ChkDsk is scheduled on the next boot.

Do you occasionally run Check Disk ("chkdsk") in Windows though? Some say "never use it," but if you're defragging often it can't hurt to use it once per week, as there has to be a very good reason even Windows Disk Defragmenter won't run if ChkDsk is scheduled on the next boot.

I occasionally do run chdsk once in a while and it wasn`t scheduled when it happened.

I occasionally do run chdsk once in a while and it wasn`t scheduled when it happened.

What settings are you using so that it doesn't run in read-only mode? I've tried running "chkdsk /f" and then hitting "Y", but it never seems to run at the next boot.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

What settings are you using so that it doesn't run in read-only mode? I've tried running "chkdsk /f" and then hitting "Y", but it never seems to run at the next boot.

Never used Auslogics to chkdsk I always use WINDOWS chkdsk

Yeah, me either. I was talking about Windows chkdsk. I've only gotten it to run in "read-only" mode.

Did you try to chkdsk with auslogics or defraggler to see if it works next boot? if did not work either ways maybe you have got some security application avoiding that operation.

It's possible that security apps are interfering with chkdsk.exe because they're locking the drive before it has a chance to run.

You could get around this by using Hiren's Mini XP and running chkdsk.exe from the DOS Prompt "chkdsk c: /f" (do not "c:" "chkdsk /f").

Alternatively you could just run "chkdsk.exe /f" but reboot your machine and start Windows in Safe Mode.

During Safe Mode you will see all the driver files loaded by Windows but nothing appears to be happening after that apart from a lot of disk activity.

In actual fact it's chkdsk.exe running in the background but for some reason it doesn't display anything on the screen while working.

Once done it should reboot the computer and start in normal mode (unless Windows is installed on a fat32 partition).

To check the chkdsk report, run Event Viewer (eventvwr) and open Application, event "Winlogon"

Richard S.

Did you try to chkdsk with auslogics or defraggler to see if it works next boot? if did not work either ways maybe you have got some security application avoiding that operation.

I didn't realize until you said that that Auslogics included that functionality, but yes it is working fine now.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png