Large files at end of drive

Miroku4444

I have my large files(.vob) moved to the end of the drive. I'm having a problem with it. I successfully moved the large file to the end of the drive and everything was great. Then a day or so later the large files weren't at the end of the drive anymore. I removed a large program(OpenOffice.org), could that of re-shuffled the file placement on the drive? Ive been keeping my large files at the end of the drive for a while now, and this has never happen before.

Are the files still in their original place or are they all over the drive? Check your minimum file size and see if it is small enough. Maybe you need to do a full drive defrag.

Are the files still in their original place or are they all over the drive? Check your minimum file size and see if it is small enough. Maybe you need to do a full drive defrag.

They weren't all over the drive, just not at the end. The files weren't fragmented and were compacted, just all grouped together with the other smaller files. I set the minimum file size to 50MB, wonder if that's too small? I did a full drive defrag, and the files are back at the end of the drive. :) I hope they stay there. <_<

Update: Did it again. :angry: Seems to happen after a Norton av scan. Could that cause it? Could Norton be moving the files around?

I think i found the problem. It appears to be caused by a feature in Norton AV to optimize(I.E,defragment) your boot drive(/:C), after a program install when idle.

Idle Time Optimizer

Idle Time Optimizer lets you configure Norton AntiVirus to defragment your boot volume or the local disk that contains boot volume when your computer is idle. Norton AntiVirus automatically schedules the optimization when it detects the installation of an application on your computer and your computer is idle. If you start using your computer again, Norton AntiVirus stops the optimization task and starts optimizing the next time that your computer is idle. This way, the background job of optimization does not affect the computer performance.

Optimization rearranges file fragments into adjacent or contiguous clusters in the hard disk. It improves the computer performance by reading the files into the memory faster. Optimization also maximizes the usable free space on a disk by grouping most frequently used files and infrequently used files. In addition, it consolidates free space to avoid fragmenting newly added files.

You can manually optimize by using the Optimize option in the Performance window that appears when you click Performance in the main window. You can also view the occurrences of optimizations during the last three months in the Events graph in the Performance window.

Cool feature if i didn't have my large files at the end of my drive. Ill turn off the feature and see if it solves it for sure.