CCleaner starts with its window under all the other windows

pepe2

Since few versions my CCleaner running on a Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit box starts with its window under all the other windows. Technically speaking this means that the z-order of the window is not "topmost" as usual in any program immediately after its launch but it's "bottom".

I tried to change the shortcut used to launch CCleaner and run it "Maximized" or "Minimized" instead of "Normal window" just to check if something may change but CCleaner simply ignored this setting.

Any help appreciated!

Regards.

Download from FileHippo an earlier version that did not have this problem.

If this old version now has the same problem it suggests your computer has changed.

I think this typically happens when something goes wrong in the registry,

and that may be solved by a clean install following a total uninstall.

Never goes wrong for me with the Portable version.

Alan.

• Moderators

You could also delete the original shortcut and make a new one to see if that fixes something. Then again in some graphics drivers there's settings which can control window behaviour to make them behave such as not opening off screen, etc.

Alan_B,

unfortunately I don?t remember which old version was good. I remember that when we passed from 32 bit to 64 bit the problem was already there. In any case during one of the periodical updates I first uninstalled CCleaner than I installed the new version but nothing changed.

More than this, I changed my computer one month ago and so I performed a fresh new installation of CCleaner 64 bit and the very first time it has run the problem appeared.

Andavari,

I played a lot around shortcuts without any results. I?ll try to investigate if the nVidia device driver has some settings as you told me. In any case I still think about a bug because many versions ago everything worked very well.

Thanks to everybody! I appreciated!

• Moderators

[moderator_reminder]Please do not advise members to disable security/sanity measures on their computer (remember many non-tech users visit here) like UAC or System Restore. If such a suggestion is needed please (in PM) ask a moderator and (if we feel it is warranted) we will advise the user to do so.[/moderator_reminder]

[pure_speculation]however I do think CookieEater has something. It may be that before (as) the UAC prompt is loading you click on a different windows which makes it the active one, so that when you do accept the UAC it throws the CCLeaner behind it now "active window" [/pure_speculation]

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

All,

I played around a bit in order to test all your suggestions. Here are the results:

• nVidia Control Panel has no setting that can influence the z-order display of a window. Sorry!

• The installation program created one CCleaner icon on my desktop (and one inside the CCleaner menu in All Programs. Moreover I pinned the icon to the Start Menu). This icon launches C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe.

If I
    • double-click it
    • wait the UAC prompt WITHOUT touching anything
    • accept the UAC warning

CCleaner starts with its window under all the other windows. No way to change this (buggy, in my opinion) behavior.

If I repeat all the operations above again, leaving the first instance of CCleaner running, the second instance of CCleaner appears correctly on the top of all others windows (!)

[*]If I create from scratch an icon on the desktop pointing to C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe and I perform the same operations' sequence above most of the time CCleaner starts on the top of all others windows but not always. It seems that there is no rule and it starts on the top or on the bottom randomly. Please note that even if the icon launches CCleaner.exe it's CCleaner64.exe to be really executed.

[*]If I disable UAC everything works well!

Conclusion:

• Full solution: disable UAC. Not recommended and I didn't!
  • Partial solution: change your icons and let them launch CCleaner.exe instead of CCleaner64.exe. Most of the time you'll have your CCleaner launched on the top of the other windows but not always.

Thanks to everybody again!