CCleaner and Opera Cookies

pudelein

Although CCleaner now cleans out Opera cookies, if allowed to, it unfortunately ignores the list of exceptions (CCleaner Options | Cookies). It ought to respect the list in the same was that it does for IE and Firefox cookies. I have had to uncheck Opera Cookies to prevent unwanted deletions!

I'm not surprised that CCleaner doesn't offer that hence if you open Opera's Cookies4.dat file you see no listings of sites, etc., it looks like some encrypted data.

How would CCleaner deal with this?

operacookies7qv.png

You may be right! Text editors (like yours, Notepad, etc) show nothing useful. However, I can view my Opera cookie file with Filesnoop, something I got some years ago from PC Magazine. I use it constantly to look at files of any kind: it makes either something like an old-fashioned hex dump, a text file, ot one formatted per the extension. I attach a screenshot that displays my cookies.

• Moderators
Text editors (like yours, Notepad, etc) show nothing useful.  However,  I can view my Opera cookie file with Filesnoop, something I got some years ago from PC Magazine.  I use it constantly to look at files of any kind: it makes either something like an old-fashioned hex dump, a text file, ot one formatted per the extension.

21963[/snapback]

True text editors don't reveal anything useful at all. However a hexview like this one via IrfanView does show something, although I don't know how useful it is:

operacookieshexview0yz.png