CCleaner and file extensions

Rilla927

Hi ladys and gents,

I just installed CCleaner for the first time and I have a question:

There is a bunch of unused file extensions such as .cal, .cals, .cmp, .ica, .img, .kf, .pct, .pcx, .pict, .ras, .raw, .tga, .wfx. Will I hurt anything by deleting these?

I should probably mention this is a fresh install of XP Pro. If anyone is a 100% sure, please let me know, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

It is OK to delete those extensions, CCleaner only deletes specific instances, not all the files with those extensions.

PS Welcome to the forum!

Hi Mike, thanks for the quick reply and the warm welcome!

I'm trying out some recommended programs from the guys at Wilders because I installed Secure It & Harden It to harden my system and the four programs they recommended plays nice with these programs. CCleaner seems to be a nice little program.

One more question for you:

I ran RegVac and it cleaned a bunch of stuff 'til there wasn't anything left. Then I ran CCleaner and it found like 40 entries. Isn't that strange! The ones I'm concerned about is ActiveX/COM Issue. Cuz I know there are some ActiveX needed, but how do you identify if they are one's you need or don't need?

Thanks again

My personal experience is that CCleaner has never deleted anything it shouldn't have. You could backup the registry and/or create a restore point (if you're running XP) before removing the files as a precaution.

You may also want to post a HiJackThis log which one of the experts here will analyze and then let you know if you have any malware. They will often offer suggestions on things you can do to make your computer run better, as well.

• Moderators
I ran RegVac and it cleaned a bunch of stuff 'til there wasn't anything left.

The problem with Super Win's RegVac and many other registry cleaners is you have to know what to let them remove or you run the risk of messing up your registry. With CCleaner you get a safe registry cleaner via the Issues tab that you don't have to inspect what will be removed.