Wiping a hard drive for reuse, what do I need to use?

kazoo

Hi all -

I built a new computer last spring and I'd like to use my old 320GB hard drive from my old system in my new one, but I want a clean slate. What do I need to do and what software do I need to use to wipe the entire drive for reuse? I'm talking about wiping the entire drive. I'm not going to sell it because I'll most likely throw Ubuntu on it at some point for a development drive.

Thanks!

• Moderators

just one-pass and use the drive wiper tool for full erase (after mounting the drive into the new computer)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

just one-pass and use the drive wiper tool for full erase (after mounting the drive into the new computer)

So just using the drive wiper tool with the one pass on the entire drive option you think would be enough? Should I use something like KillDisk as well or in lieu of?

• Moderators

I can't answer that as I'm not familar with "killdisc" (sound like a terrible name :P ) but from a VERY cursory look they both amount to the same thing

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Use Active Kill Disk for low level format...one pass of 1s and 0s... I have done this many times to supposely DEAD HDs and saved my friends muchos $$$.

It takes LONG times.. 100GB took 8 hrs ??? so 320 GB..24 hrs ?? Boot it in DOS and forget about it for a day...Then initialize and format.

Good luck !!

DOS tools use slow PIO mode disk access not DMA like Windows or Linux and don't forget you're repeating the same procedure with 2 or 3 pass cleaning.

Another thing to consider is the LBA 48bit drive limit I'm not sure if DOS is capable of access past 137.4GB so you're better off sticking to a Windows based tool.

Richard S.

If there is no concern about a new user stealing data, why spend hours with a low level format ?

QUESTION - Is it so RECUVA will not list last years files when you want to retrieve a newly deleted file ?

I suggest that when a partition manager rapidly deletes and recreates a partition,

perhaps file recovery will not see any evidence of the old files.

Additional question.

If you go for a NON Windows O.S. would something other than FAT32 or NTFS be appropriate.

Would a UBUNTA based equivalent to RECUVA get confused by un-wiped NTFS sectors that are now EXT3 ?

N.B. I am happy with the free manager at

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

This runs under Windows and can create a partition with a choice of 7 formats.

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

I agree entirely with Alan. Just reformat the partition as NTFS and Recuva in normal mode will see no files at all, as it will be reading the newly-created MFT. Seeeemple.

It's a free world, so do whatever makes you happy..

BUT for my money, I would low level format from DOS..just one pass. We've uncovered plenty of "deleted" and formatted over files from HDs.

I know it takes more time, but it's worth the effort FIRST time. Doing from DOS eliminates anything effect from OS (XP, Visat or Win &)..not that one expect any issues,,just in case.

Like I said, we've "relived" dead HDs too which means low level also "fixes" any unknown issues as well.

You guys can argue all you want (and probably 99% right), but why not be 100% correct and start fresh.

Cheers!!! I am moving on..

Tiger

If you need DEEP SCAN then :-

1) You are already in DEEP DOO DOO

2) You have lost something that is :-

2a) NOT on your Windows Installation disk ;

2b) Cannot now be reconstructed or downloaded for Free ;

2c) You are desperate enough to be thankful for anything, even a remnant of what can be salvaged from the un-wiped sectors which held the original files before you backed them up elsewhere whilst deleting and recreating the partition

3) DEEP SCAN will NEVER EVER retrieve files from sectors that have been over-written,

so after you put an operating system plus all the applications and data files etc you want,

plus any duplicate spare backup copies you might like to hold for some other computers or purposes,

then a Wipe Free Space on a residual 20% of a 320 GB drive should be 5 times faster than wiping a complete 320 GB

And it bears repeating - you are in DEEP DOO DOO ! ! !

Alan