Unused File Extention

philtec

Every time I run the registry cleaner it comes up with Unused File Extention Data, Test.Class.1 HKCR\Test.Class.1

What is this and how can I get rid of whatever is causing it.

I have googled this and do not get any info about it.

That extension is unused at the moment. Clearing it works only temporarily until used again.

So just exclude Unused File Extention Data, Test.Class.1 HKCR\Test.Class.1 to stop it from reappearing.

I realize that it is unused, I would like to know what is creating this extention

• Moderators

The only common denominator I can see from googling, is that it could be an unregistered dll, or some faulty programming.

Then again it could be something else entirely, although it does seem to be something unique to your PC, as I've never seen it mentioned on here before.

Grasping at straws, have you installed any software round about the time this error started popping up? It could possibly be part of a recently installed program which hasn't installed properly, meaning a re-install may fix the problem.

As Kroozer mentions above, and as you've found, there isn't much to find about this, and what I have found is techno babble to me.

Another member may come up with something better.

The only common denominator I can see from googling, is that it could be an unregistered dll, or some faulty programming.

Then again it could be something else entirely, although it does seem to be something unique to your PC, as I've never seen it mentioned on here before.

Grasping at straws, have you installed any software round about the time this error started popping up? It could possibly be part of a recently installed program which hasn't installed properly, meaning a re-install may fix the problem.

As Kroozer mentions above, and as you've found, there isn't much to find about this, and what I have found is techno babble to me.

Another member may come up with something better.

Thanks for the replies.

I have been checking my internet speed at various sites as I have a piss poor verizon dsl service and the speed goes up and down and sometimes disconnects by itself.

On some sites a java dialog box pops up about an unsigned java program and I accept and the test is run.

This issue (Test.Class.1) happens on both of my computers and I wonder if it is related to this.

I have it come up after it is cleaned with ccleaner and I have not installed any new programs.

I'm sure you found this, but these guys have information about the file extensions ".test", ".class", and ".1". Link

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

It may be part of a version number of a program.

You could try a program that kroozer recommended to me by the name of Everything.

Search for *.1

It's possible you'll find the program that's responsible.

My guess is that it's a portable application.

BTW kroozer thanks again for this program. It's fast and it finds "Everything".

It may be part of a version number of a program.

You could try a program that kroozer recommended to me by the name of Everything.

Search for *.1

It's possible you'll find the program that's responsible.

My guess is that it's a portable application.

BTW kroozer thanks again for this program. It's fast and it finds "Everything".

Thanks but,you can not find a file extension to a file that ccleaner concludes to not be there.

Thanks but,you can not find a file extension to a file that ccleaner concludes to not be there.

That's not true because I've had the same situation with many portable applications. Unless the following is pure coincidence.

CCleaner reported them as an unused file extension, even though it was actually the end of the program version.

All of the following portable applications are still on my box.

1) Audacity v1.2.6 found by *.6 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.6]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.6\OpenWithList]

2) WhyReboot v1.0.1.537 found by *.537 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.537]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.537\OpenWithList]

3) Everything v1.2.1.371 found by *.371 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.371]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.371\OpenWithList]

That's not true because I've had the same situation with many portable applications. Unless the following is pure coincidence.

CCleaner reported them as an unused file extension, even though it was actually the end of the program version.

All of the following portable applications are still on my box.

1) Audacity v1.2.6 found by *.6 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.6]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.6\OpenWithList]

2) WhyReboot v1.0.1.537 found by *.537 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.537]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.537\OpenWithList]

3) Everything v1.2.1.371 found by *.371 with Everything.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.371]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.371\OpenWithList]

Thanks again,I do not have any portable applications.

Every application that needs to be launched first before it will use a data file is an application that has not get relevant file associations - otherwise you could double click the data file and Windows would launch the correct application.

Portable Applications work like this.

Other Applications may similarly not get associations established.

Either way just use that data file and your Unused Extension error will reappear.

Harmless

Alan

• Moderators

I'm no techie, but I feel this is somehow connected to the Java issue.

The "Unsigned Java Program" message may have been "Unsigned Java Applet", and using Logins suggestion to check out the individual file extensions leads to one of them, "CLASS" possibly being attributable to Java.

Detailed information for file extension "CLASS":

Primary association: Java

Company: Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Mime type: application/octet-stream, application/x-java, application/java-byte-code, application/x-java-class, application/x-java-vm, application/x-java-bean, application/x-jinit-bean, application/x-jinit-applet

Its easy to check your Java, remove old versions and install the latest version if you're using any Operating System up to Vista (without UAC).

Simply download JavaRa (simple exe file, no install), and run it.

JavaRa:

Screenshot:

At least worth a try if nothing else gets rid of it, and it will also ensure that you're using the latest version of Java, as outdated versions are a security risk.

If you're using Windows 7, it can be done manually.

I'm no techie, but I feel this is somehow connected to the Java issue.

The "Unsigned Java Program" message may have been "Unsigned Java Applet", and using Logins suggestion to check out the individual file extensions leads to one of them, "CLASS" possibly being attributable to Java.

Its easy to check your Java, remove old versions and install the latest version if you're using any Operating System up to Vista (without UAC).

Simply download JavaRa (simple exe file, no install), and run it.

JavaRa:

Screenshot:

At least worth a try if nothing else gets rid of it, and it will also ensure that you're using the latest version of Java, as outdated versions are a security risk.

If you're using Windows 7, it can be done manually.

Thanks again, been there done that.

I am running winXP sp-3.

I have javaRa for a long time.

• Moderators

Are you running CWSandbox or any sort of sandbox application?

Or maybe RoboForm?

I found a site which (based on the answer given to these two questions) may point toward the answer

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Are you running CWSandbox or any sort of sandbox application?

Or maybe RoboForm?

I found a site which (based on the answer given to these two questions) may point toward the answer

Thanks for the reply.

I have no sandbox apps, HOWEVER I do run Roboform on both computers

• Moderators

That's what I figured The Roboform uninstaller exe

rfwipeout.exe

is know to create this Root class

(see: process 2 on http://www.sunbeltsecurity.com/partnerresources/cwsandbox/md5.aspx?id=70cb38104e5e93670973668b85f3a71c and then look under the registry created for process two)

Therefore I can 94% guaranty that roboform itself also creates this class

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com