Choosing Anti-Virus Program

Picablu

• Moderators

If you find that the av you are running at the moment works well at its job, and your machine runs well with it, why change?

However there are lots of good av's around. Depends on if you want paid or not.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hi Picablu.

If you do decide to change, say when your subscription runs out or whatever, I would recommend Avast Free Home Edition, simply because I've had about 4 years trouble free protection, and faultless daily database updates.

I'm not saying it's better than other free A/V's, just pointing out my experience with the one I use for your consideration.

:)

If you find that the av you are running at the moment works well at its job, and your machine runs well with it, why change?

There is some confusion with my Norton subscription. I seem to have 'lost' considerable time remaining. I'm familiar with the way it works, and like it, but don't want to pay for it again if there is an alternative I would like as well.

However there are lots of good av's around. Depends on if you want paid or not.

Hi Picablu.

If you do decide to change, say when your subscription runs out or whatever, I would recommend Avast Free Home Edition, simply because I've had about 4 years trouble free protection, and faultless daily database updates.

I'm not saying it's better than other free A/V's, just pointing out my experience with the one I use for your consideration.

Thank you for your info, Dennis. I was not aware of any free A/V programs. I'm not sure what a 'firewall' does, but does Avast have it?

• Moderators

Picablu, you need never ever have to buy software.

You can usually find free programs to do just about everything you would ever need. Some are slightly paired down versions of a commercial program, and some are just free programs in their own right, which do the same thing as a commercial equivalent would.

And many do a better job than their commercial equivalent.

This forum is the place to look if you need any software to do a particular thing. Just ask.

To answer your question, here's a couple of links on the whys and wherefores of having a Firewall and an Antivirus installed on a computer.

Why you need a Firewall?

How Firewalls Work:

If I have a firewall do I need an antivirus?

I have XP, and I just use Windows own Firewall along with Avast Home Edition Antivirus.

Unless you get warning messages popping up, you will probably have either Windows Firewall active or Nortons if it has one, but not both. You should never have more than one Firewall or Antivirus program running at once.

Also, if you use a Router to connect to the Internet, it will probably have a Hardware Firewall which is very effective.

You'll find it in the Routers configuration pages something like this:

anKEts.jpg

Hope that helps, but if you need any more advice just ask.

Picablu, you need never ever have to buy software.

You can usually find free programs to do just about everything you would ever need. Some are slightly paired down versions of a commercial program, and some are just free programs in their own right, which do the same thing as a commercial equivalent would.

And many do a better job than their commercial equivalent.

This forum is the place to look if you need any software to do a particular thing. Just ask.

To answer your question, here's a couple of links on the whys and wherefores of having a Firewall and an Antivirus installed on a computer.

Why you need a Firewall?

How Firewalls Work:

If I have a firewall do I need an antivirus?

I have XP, and I just use Windows own Firewall along with Avast Home Edition Antivirus.

Unless you get warning messages popping up, you will probably have either Windows Firewall active or Nortons if it has one, but not both. You should never have more than one Firewall or Antivirus program running at once.

Also, if you use a Router to connect to the Internet, it will probably have a Hardware Firewall which is very effective.

You'll find it in the Routers configuration pages something like this:

anKEts.jpg

Hope that helps, but if you need any more advice just ask.

Thanks for the helpful info and links, Dennis. Have made my decision. Good to go with A/V and firewall. Also have Malwarebytes because it seemed to provide another layer of protection. :)

• Moderators

Good to hear Picablu, as long as you're only using MalwareBytes as an occasional scanner, and not running it "active" as it will probably conflict with your A/V.

The site says the module "Works together with other anti-malware utilities", but personally I wouldn't run it alongside my A/V.

If you have the free version you won't have the "active" protection module anyway, so you can only use it as a scanner.

Just thought I'd mention that.

I have always had Norton 360, and I like the way it works.

Does anyone have any advice?

Any other good programs?

There is a lot of good advice here, as usual.

I've used just the Norton AV since 1999 then also added ZoneAlarm FW, Registry Mechanic, Spybot S&D, Adaware, CCleaner (still do), CoolWeb, and I've tried a few others.

I also get regular newsletters from PCWorld and PCMag on a variety of subjects, security, downloads, news, etc. Their general opinion is that the better (i.e. paid) AV programs overall do better in their tests.

My results were OK.....but a buddy has told me for years he gets a great deal on NAV 360 every year after Thanksgiving.

------------------------

Well I tried it, and I love it, it's so easy I almost feel like I'm getting lazy, I let them do it all, NAV, FW, etc. EXCEPT I STILL USE REGISTRY MECHANIC and CARBONITE BACK UP, CCleaner for quick cleanups and that's about it.

So bottom line if you can afford to buy, well it's not bad, if you want the FREE route, it can work.......but right now, I'm sticking with N360, which BTW in 2010 and 2011 got pretty good marks from various sources.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.