cannot recover any files

RolandG

I am trying to recover deleted files on a WD Passport usb drive.

Recova found a number of deleted files, many marked "excellent" state.

However, no matter what 'excellent' file I ask to recover, it fails to recover the file with an error saying "the volume for the file has een externally altered so the opened file is no longer valid."

Therefore the Recova software is pretty much useless.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

I have edited the above comment, please wait a little while and more suggestions may come up.

until then can you please post the version of Revcua (please don't just say "the latest" that is not an aid to anyone) and Your Operating System Version

As this is a WD drive is the WD software (or any software that monitors that drive) running? If so it may be that that software is interfering with recuva (by contantly indexing the MFT on that drive) If so please quit all such programs and try to restore again.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Roland, if you Google "the volume for the file has been externally altered" you will get many responses. I suugest that you plough through those. It does not appear to be a Recuva problem.

Recuva version is 1.39.509

OS is Win 7 64 bit

The WD software is not loaded; no other software monitoring the WD drive is running.

I have edited the above comment, please wait a little while and more suggestions may come up.

until then can you please post the version of Revcua (please don't just say "the latest" that is not an aid to anyone) and Your Operating System Version

As this is a WD drive is the WD software (or any software that monitors that drive) running? If so it may be that that software is interfering with recuva (by contantly indexing the MFT on that drive) If so please quit all such programs and try to restore again.

Have you tried running "chkdsk.exe /f e:" yet (assuming e: is your external hard drive).

Do you have Daemon Tools / Alcohol 120 installed??

Not sure what else to suggest really apart from try another file recovery program or run Recuva from Hiren's Boot CD Mini XP.

If you use Mini XP make sure you run "Install all device HWPnP" to enable flash drive support.

Richard S.

I am trying to recover deleted files on a WD Passport usb drive.

Recova found a number of deleted files, many marked "excellent" state.

However, no matter what 'excellent' file I ask to recover, it fails to recover the file with an error saying "the volume for the file has een externally altered so the opened file is no longer valid."

Therefore the Recova software is pretty much useless.

Any ideas?

Hi Roland, please do not do any change to that drive, never chkdsk before data recovery, and you may try this one, it may help you: http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/free-data-recovery-software.htm