Support for Spotify

redhawk

Spotify has no clear cache option only the ability to limit the total usage to 1GB which is frankly stupid.

It would therefore be useful if Ccleaner could add support for cleaning Spotify's ogg cache files.

The default location is "%userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Spotify\Storage" however this can be changed from program settings.

The folders inside "Storage" can be safely removed since running Spotify would simply rebuild them again.

(p.s. any indication of planned support for Spotify would be most appreciated)

Richard S.

• 9 months later...

In the meantime you can either add your own support for it on your system using CCleaner's Include feature, or write a winapp2.ini entry for it.

Just for anyone wondering,

FInd Winapp2.ini in the Ccleaner directory, open it, find a nice spot to add the following lines:

[spotify]
LangSecref=3023
Detect=HKCU\Software\Spotify
Default=false
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Spotify\Storage\*.*

Now reopen CCleaner and go to the Cleaner section, click the Applications tab, and enable Spotify. Or skip this step by changing line Default=false to default=true.

Depending on how many files, it could take a bit of extra time as Spotify makes a few dozen 1+ MB files. I had around 920GB worth. Took an extra 30 seconds. Sub sequential scans should take much less.

• 9 months later...

Thread has aged a bit However, One thing needs to be addressed because Spotify changed the registry entry.

[spotify]

LangSecref=3023

Detect=HKCU\Software\Spotify <<<<<<<<<<see Note

Default=false

FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Spotify\Storage\ |*.*<<<see Update

Note: The registry entry is not as you expected neither will it be because Spotify needs it's users to help P2P the music pk's. The cache is very vital for premium accounts for offline listening as well as faster loading time if you need to replay a song. If deleted, you lose the music you wanted to keep. The only location I found Spotify to be now a days is in

APPLIES TO WINDOWS XP SP3! Windows Vista and Windows 7 needs to be verified. I do not have Vista nor 7. WARNING: The registry is very sensitive and not recommended to tinker with please!

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\spotify<<install directory

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Spotify.m4a<< file association

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Spotify.m4p<< file association

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Spotify.mp3<< file association

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\Spotify.mp4<< file association

(folders marked 'file association' are for local media playback. Spotify will not stream local media. local media is the .mp3's .ogg's, .wma's, .aac's, etc NOT the .file files in the Spotify cache!)

Maybe changing the line 2 to read:

Detect=HKCR\spotify\

might work?

Update 2 minutes later: I changed the registry entry to HKCR\spotify\. Ccleaner detected it but only seeing 119kb for cleaning. Something is wrong with FileKey1= line for it to detect all files and folders in Spotify\Storage directory in which mine is shy of 1 gb of data. It is seeing the index.dat file only. Same result after 5 presses of the analyze button.

Thats all i got for now. the FileKey part i cant remember how to make the right switch and I need some shut eye its 123am in central USA.

thanks and hopefully this will get us somewhere.

Edit: I cant sleep yet I have to say when you delete the Storage cache delete the folders inside Storage and the .dat file.

Thanks again

Edited by me1900

• Moderators

The cache is very vital for premium accounts for offline listening as well as faster loading time if you need to replay a song. If deleted, you lose the music you wanted to keep.

People have reported problems after cleaning Spotify, so who knows what will happen with its cleaning routine in CCleaner.

I know Spotfy's storage folder grows rapidly if you are a heavy listener. Its hardly possible to use Ccleaner to delete all those folders without other bugs occuring. Why fix it if it isnt broke?

Simplest to just erase the folders and leave the folder intact. It may be folder permission attributes that prevent Ccleaner from seeing these folders or not. The Piriform developers know and I am sure they are curious and scratching their heads wondering how did they do that?

Some things like this will be reasonably placed on the back seat and when a break through comes they might just jump on it.

Spotify is not a typical browser. A large storage folder is isn't really bad on performance its the amount of P2P connections on the Spotify network. There is some cpu load per connection each one is very small but they add up to a bigger load. Your pc has to get the packets from the respective .file send it out and at the same time write new packets to the hard drive for new music this also increases hard drive activity a little. I've counted no more that 50 peers in TCP View on the Spotify.exe process.

Its a fun project to try to see what works so I tried. Thus far, it's not really that beneficial. If you try to clean it it will break if you don't it will have a small performance issue but it will clear up. Don't have any more than 3 apps in spotify.

post-62809-0-85881700-1344224016_thumb.jpg