Error involving Google Chrome

Lifes

The nitty-gritty first:

Windows XPPro

CCleaner v2.26.1233 (Yes, I know there's an update but haven't gotten around to doing it.)

Browsers: IE 7 and Google Chrome

Antivirus: AVG (free)

----

I started using Google Chrome when IE couldn't handle some newer web designs nor handle games that use heavy Flash.

For all other tasks and Internet needs, I use IE.

I often have multiple "tabs" or separate pages (several windows) open at the same time on both Google Chrome & IE.

Problems with CCleaner:

1. CCleaner runs and functions fine with IE still open, but not with Google Chrome open.

2. CCleaner prompts to close Google Chrome (if I forgot to close GC). BUT even after I close GC, the CCleaner program still says 'Close Google Chrome first'. Let's say I'm playing Games via Facebook. I close all Google Chrome tabs or windows. I open CCleaner -- whether immediately, or hours later. CCleaner says, 'Close Google Chrome'. I look up & it IS closed. I close CCleaner. I go to Task Manager--I do NOT see anything in processes that leads me to think Google Chrome is in use. I re-open CCleaner and try again; It says 'Close Google Chrome' OR it says, 'Ha-ha, CCleaner will stop (before we even start this) if you don't close Google Chrome.' I say back under my breath, "Google Chrome IS closed, Mr. CCleaner, so please do your job!" CCleaner still argues with me, convinced that Google Chrome is still opened. It's hard to argue with a computer program. ;-) I give up and close CCleaner.

3. (My trick....) When CCleaner believes Google Chrome is still open and refuses to recognize Google Chrome IS in fact closed (even when everything closed), I then re-open (or close and re-open) Internet Explorer to any page (usually to Google Mail). In other words, CCleaner needs a swift kick or needs tricked to recognize that Google Chrome is CLOSED.

4. Sometimes, the trick listed in #3 still does not convince CCleaner that Google Chrome IS closed. Then, CCleaner just won't get past its error until I completely shut off the computer. The next time, CCleaner DOES work fine again.

This error concerning Google Chrome isn't a biggie; at least my trick does make it function again most of the time.

But, I'd love to find that CCleaner & Google Chrome have gone to mediation, have worked out their problems with each other, and find that they don't include ME in their squabbles with each other. ;-) Just once, I'd like to end a day on the computer by closing the 2 browser types, running CCleaner, and going to bed without having to use any trick or re-starting the computer just to get CCleaner to believe me that 'he' is NOT being stalked by the CLOSED Google Chrome program. It isn't nice that CCleaner is so wary that it becomes 'paranoid' and believes Google Chrome is still open.

I hope you can be the 'Mediator' of this annoying issue.

Lifes

Could it be possible there is a lingering chrome process running? This would stop CCleaner from running. I can't recall exactly, but I believe Google Chrome has something akin to the Firefox "plugin-container.exe" for flash and other plugins (or rather, chrome had it first :unsure:) it could be that when CCleaner closes chrome and its running a plugin, it does not close the plugin, which prevents CCleaner from doing its job properly as (I suspect) CCleaner only tries to end chrome.exe

I would try this:

1) Open Task Manager

2) Manually close out of chrome using the [x]

3) Search the task manager processes tab for chrome-related processes

4) If they're not ended, manually end them using the End Process button

At any rate, you should update your CCleaner anyway :).

also I really enjoyed the whole 'google chrome is stalking CCleaner- or so he believes part :lol:

There is no point to this so called bug report.

Bug reports are to identify something to be fixed.

No way that ANY software provider would go back to a previous GENERATION to fix an obsolete product.

I agree with all that Winapp2.ini has said.

I believe you are totally wrong in your "Trick 3".

Launching and closing I.E. will be as effective as crossing your fingers at kicking Cleaner.

What is possible is that using I.E. to access Google Gmail may cause lingering chrome processes to terminate.

Incidentally the filehippo archives show nothing between CCleaner 2.26.1050 and CCleaner 2.27.1070

If you really have CCleaner v2.26.1233 it was probably a hurried patch between releases.

You are working with something that is more than one year out of date.

I have been content with the 4 month old CCleaner 2.35.1219,

and this week I also tried the latest version CCleaner 3.02.1343.

Last night launched both the old and the new and then cleaned all cookies with the old version;

and immediately after the old version analyzed again and declared them gone.

Then I analyzed with the new and that found 360 more cookies,

which then it cleaned after which it declared them gone.

I was shocked that 360 enemy items had been lurking undetected.

Please feel free to return after you have done what you should have first done - use the latest release.

Alan

• Moderators

Since you also mentioned having WinXP with IE7 on it having issues. If you plan on using IE online for anything whatsoever it would help security-wise let alone bug fixes to get the latest that WinXP can run which is IE8.

Edit:

Also don't expect much support using a now very outdated version of CCleaner, you can update your version here.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I am running chrome 10.0.642.2 on Win7 x64. I even re-installed it (over the present setup). There is always a remaining chrome.exe after I exit chrome. procexp says there is not parent. I can kill it in the Task Manager, but it comes back when restarting chrome or restarting the PC.

Running ccleaner numerous times (after ending chrome.exe in the Task Manager) does not seem to help this problem. It is a Google problem for sure, but I was hoping ccleaner might help.

I have the same problem. Win7 x64.

No you don't ! !

You have a different O.S. and hopefully CCleaner is not one year out of date.

Solutions that improve one situation can kill the other person's computer

Please do not hijack someone else's topic and cause confusion about which problem an answer is aimed at.

In your special case I recommend a safe solution :-

use AutoRuns.exe from Systernals to identify all the hundreds of things that get launched.

If you need further advice then start a separate topic.

I have used Google Map etc. in the past

After one year without running it I tried again and it insisted upon the need for an update.

It not only updated Google Map it foisted Chrome on me, and installed start-up services.

I did not get mad - I got even ! !

I purged all Chrome and purged all Google Map.

Alan

I have the same problem. I am running chrome 10.0.642.2 on Win7 x64. I even re-installed it (over the present setup). There is always a remaining chrome.exe after I exit chrome. procexp says there is not parent. I can kill it in the Task Manager, but it comes back when restarting chrome or restarting the PC.

Running ccleaner numerous times (after ending chrome.exe in the Task Manager) does not seem to help this problem. It is a Google problem for sure, but I was hoping ccleaner might help.

The source of my problem is that I had Google Cloud Print on. Easy fix is to disable it. With all the posted problems, you'd think the developer would have mentioned this when turning on the process. It is mentioned on a google page, but it was not obvious.

• 4 years later...