Run CCleaner Gutmann right click option

rjo98

I usually run CCleaner from right clicking on my Recycle Bin with the Run CCleaner option. Sometimes I just want it to clean the crap out with a normal deletion, whereas other times I want to run it with the Gutmann secure deletion method. Right now I have to manually open CCleaner and change the deletion method every time to switch it back and forth.

I know Run CCleaner as a right click uses whatever it was last set to, but is there a way to add a "Run CCleaner Gutmann" option to the Recycle Bin so it will automatically use Gutmann for that instance, then keeping Run CCleaner as the normal deletion method?

• Moderators

useless to do stick with one secure overwrite. you'll kill your drive early if you gutmann it so much

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

useless to do stick with one secure overwrite. you'll kill your drive early if you gutmann it so much

Why is it useless? I thought Gutmann made it harder to recover the data? I only run Gutmann after I do online banking, so its not doing too much damage I wouldn't think.

Is there a way to make a one secure pass right click option then? I'm just looking for a way to avoid having to manually switch it all the time.

Why is it useless? I thought Gutmann made it harder to recover the data?

Even Dr Gutmann says 35 passes is pointless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

A Simple one pass overwrite provides sufficient obliteration of data, and is the fastest overwrite. If you try to recover you will get just meaningless letters, numbers & symbols.

Even Dr Gutmann says 35 passes is pointless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method

A Simple one pass overwrite provides sufficient obliteration of data, and is the fastest overwrite. If you try to recover you will get just meaningless letters, numbers & symbols.

Thanks Kroozer, i'll read the link, kinda funny even if the creator says its pointless.

So I guess that leaves my question as if its possible to add that second option. Guess the point is really moot then because a single overwrite would be sufficient.

I wonder why there's all these different overwriting methods available if all you really need is one pass.

To placate the paranoics. :D

HAHA, that was my first thought ;-)

I just read that link, makes sense now. Seems the Gutmann is more of a cover all the basis for whatever type of drive you could possibly be using, when all you really need are a few passes of random.

• Moderators

I wonder why there's all these different overwriting methods available if all you really need is one pass.

Because so many people were requesting it non-stop and not believing us when we'd tell them it's completely and utterly pointless.

Because so many people were requesting it non-stop and not believing us when we'd tell them it's completely and utterly pointless.

So not to beat a dead horse, but this topic is interesting to me. I know I'm getting slightly off topic, but since you guys seem to know a lot about this, do you know of a good article to read that explains why there are so many secure erasing methods. Like I notice there are two different Department of Defense ones, then there's one from the Army and Navy. You'd think the government would agree on one that works. Although looking at those I'm guessing three passes might be the magic number, as one of the DoD's, Army, and Navy are three passes, with the other DoD is 7.

• Moderators
You'd think the government would agree on one that works.

:blink::blink::blink:

I would not think that, having worked closely with Government agencies. :rolleyes:

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

they do pay $20 for a hammer LOL

So why do all theirs do at least 3 passes though?

I worked in Quartermaster as part of my military career. I've seen $320.00 shelled out for a ball peen hammer and $660.00 for a toilet seat. Got to go. See all you good folks later.

Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

To placate the paranoics. :D

O.K. kroozer, you've got me. I'm a card-carrying paranoic. Take care.

Your friend,

Warlock

If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain. (Emily Dickinson-1830-1886)

• Moderators

Honestly I use MultiShreds to desimate a malware file . . . but only just because I can B)

:blink::blink::blink:

I would not think that, having worked closely with Government agencies. :rolleyes:

I've been using the Guttmann 35. I was going to ask you and Andavari a question but now kroozer's got me scared off. LOL

Warlock

. . .

Gutmann's paper: easy reading :)

There was and is still a reason for the different overwrite schemes, but that level of security isn't necessary until and unless you are going to part with the hard drive, and it contains really serious information. If that's the case, burn it, pound the ashes and scatter'em. Not on the garden, as they will contain toxic metals.

:lol:

edit: one pass is enough for most any normal use, IMHO.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

- - - burn it, pound the ashes and scatter'em.

To destroy my last hard drive I removed the disk, demagged it with a bulk video tape eraser, attacked it with a Dremel & grinding attachment, finally bent it with vice grips and pliers. :)

Well, there ya go, see, a high tech solution, probably less expensive and better for the environment. I shall try it next time. But you could put an eye out with that grinder. :blink:

Members can get help with almost any problem on this forum. <<< S'posed to be funny, not sarcastic, I'm doin' the best I can, here.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

To destroy my last hard drive I removed the disk, demagged it with a bulk video tape eraser, attacked it with a Dremel & grinding attachment, finally bent it with vice grips and pliers. :)

Sounds like what I did in the garage to my last HDD (except for the bulk video tape eraser part). Took the whole thing apart, put each platter in my bench vise (making sure to significantly scratch the surface with the vise jaws) and with a pair of pliers bent and finally broke each platter into quarters. ;)

I then threw a few pieces at a time in the trash over a couple weeks so everything wasn't in the same trash bag. :P

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Wow! It appears that we have some lean, mean fighting machines on this forum. I think I may go put on some body armor just in case. You wouldn't hit an old man with glasses would you? LOL Just kidding, see you later.

Warlock

Wow! It appears that we have some lean, mean fighting machines on this forum. I think I may go put on some body armor just in case. You wouldn't hit an old man with glasses would you? LOL Just kidding, see you later.

Warlock

Hey, there was a lot of personal information on that drive... can't be too careful in this age of identity theft. :D:)

p.s. No, I wouldn't hit an old man in glasses... that describes ME too. ;)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)