SOUND CARD NOT INSTALLED (anymore)

Atnes

Hi to all,

I have a problem with my sound performance on my PC - actually, I have no sound performance at all. After trying all possible tricks and tests, I finally discovered that my sound card (which had been happily installed on my PC until recently) is not installed anymore - my computer keeps telling me that there is no audio device installed on my PC, no sound card available etc. What should I do? I don't want to open my computer case all by myself, since the warranty rules do not allow it anyway, therefore I am playing with the thought to buy one of those external sound devices, like for instance the below one or something similar. Would such a device perform like an in-built sound card that I used to have and is now gone missing for mysterious reasons? Does any of you have perhaps another solution to offer ? I would be very grateful - am rather lost without the sound o my computer, you know :(;)

New Andrea External Digital Sound Card With CD Quality Digital Sample Rates Excellent Performance, g

<H2>Product Features</H2>

• Andrea External Digital Sound Card w/Noise Reducer.
  • Hi-fidelity external sound card with CD quality digital sample rates.
  • Small form factor, about the size of a thumb drive, is convenient for portability with audio peripherals.
  • Includes Andrea's complete PureAudio? Voice Solutions Software Suite.

Thank you very much in advance for any suggestions!

Atnes

Still the same question - is perhaps anyone familiar with this beast:

Speed-Link UltraPortable Audio Card USB

by J?llenbeck GmbH

The customers' reviews say, f.i. things like : " My sound stopped working with no obvious cause, I ordered a new sound card and this USB device as well (better safe than sorry...).

This one arrived first and does the job perfectly, sound is back to how it was. Can't comment on the mic function though because I'm not using it, but I can only assume it works as well as the sound.

The PC instantly recognised it as the new default sound device, didn't cause any problems at all. ".. Do you think this really replaces an in-built sound card?

Thanks!

Atnes

What version of Windows are you running??

If you look at device manager do you see any yellow markers hovering over your sounds devices??

If you run "eventvwr.exe" (event viewer) do you see any errors relating to audio or audio devices??

Richard S.

I AM RUNNING WINDOWS XP PREOFESSIONAL.

If you look at device manager do you see any yellow markers hovering over your sounds devices??

YES, I DO, NEXT TO THE PCI Mark.

If you run "eventvwr.exe" (event viewer) do you see any errors relating to audio or audio devices??

Haven't tried it yet- will do it!

Richard, thanks a lot for your answer!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Atnes

Richard S.

• Moderators

Never heard of a PC manufacturer voiding a warranty for opening the case before, that's super odd if you want to upgrade components or replace broken components like a CD/DVD drive, etc!:huh:

Anyways if it's integrated sound on the motherboard you could use an external I suppose, or void the warranty and put in an internal one.

If it's not a hardware failure and instead some software glitch:

1. First thing to check though is in Windows Services (Start > Run > Type in: services.msc), then scroll all the way to to bottom and make sure Windows Audio is set to Automatic, and is Started. This is a quick easy fix sometimes. See if it works, if not:

2. If you still have issues get the the manufacturer sound drivers installation file/disc and reinstall them. See if it works, if not:

3. Open Device Manager, find the soundcard, right click it and select Properties. In Properties make sure you do not see any errors in the log window, then make sure the device is enabled it will read under Device Usage: Use this device (enable). Restart Windows if you had to manually enable it. See if it works, if not one last thing to try:

4. Open Device Manager, find the soundcard, right click it and select Uninstall. Restart Windows. On startup Windows will then re-detect the sound card.

• Moderators

try to (while connected to the internet)

1) right click the item(s) with a exclaimation point choose properties

2) tell us what it says under "device status"

if it states the driver needs to be reinstalled you can skip to

3) go to the driver tab and click upgrade driver

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Richard S.

Thank yoiu, Richard, I am sorry for my delayed answer,, - I've been away,. I am running XP Professional.

I found many error message in the Applications list for OVI Suite.... and some in the System list for Service Control Manager...and none, obviously, directly relating to audio or audio devices (my knowledge in computing is less than poor , though:rolleyes: ... Hmmmmm

Thanks anyway!

Atnes

Hi Andavan, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INFORMATIVE INSTRUCTIONS AND HELP.

Never heard of a PC manufacturer voiding a warranty for opening the case before, that's super odd if you want to upgrade components or replace broken components like a CD/DVD drive, etc!:huh:

:rolleyes:

Anyways if it's integrated sound on the motherboard you could use an external I suppose, or void the warranty and put in an internal one.

If it's not a hardware failure and instead some software glitch:

1. First thing to check though is in Windows Services (Start > Run > Type in: services.msc), then scroll all the way to to bottom and make sure Windows Audio is set to Automatic, and is Started.

It is set to 'automatic' and is 'started'.

This is a quick easy fix sometimes. See if it works, if not:

2. If you still have issues get the the manufacturer sound drivers installation file/disc and reinstall them.

Can't find it ;):-(

See if it works, if not:

3. Open Device Manager, find the sound card, right click it and select Properties. In Properties make sure you do not see any errors in the log window, then make sure the device is enabled it will read under Device Usage: Use this device (enable). Restart Windows if you had to manually enable it. See if it works, if not one last thing to try:

NO sound card in the Device Manager list. Strange - it has worked wonderfully for the last 2,5 years. ever since I bought this computer.

4. Open Device Manager, find the sound card, right click it and select Uninstall. Restart Windows. On startup Windows will then re-detect the sound card.

same as above

Thanks again.

Atnes, lost in the sound-card enigma.

try to (while connected to the internet)

1) right click the item(s) with a exclamation point choose properties

2) tell us what it says under "device status"

if it states the driver needs to be reinstalled you can skip to

3) go to the driver tab and click upgrade driver

Hi Nergal,

Thank you so much for your answer. It would seem as if I have "lost" it completely : WHERE DO I FIND THOSE ITEMS WITH A POSSIBLE EXCLAMATION MARK? Sorry for my ignorance :unsure:

Thanks,

Atnes

• Moderators

Hi Nergal,

Thank you so much for your answer. It would seem as if I have "lost" it completely : WHERE DO I FIND THOSE ITEMS WITH A POSSIBLE EXCLAMATION MARK? Sorry for my ignorance :unsure:

Thanks,

Atnes

This

YES, I DO, NEXT TO THE PCI Mark.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com