Defragging OS Drive with Another PC

EliteK

Well I just tryed defragging my pc with another PC and it did a really good job since windows is not loaded it cant conflict with processes running i was wondering if someone ells has tryed defragging windows OS drive with another pc or another windows loaded on your pc.

My Pc :D

Case: Cooler Master HAF 942 Nvidia Edition

HDD: 1 X SSD Now V+ SNVP325-S2/32GB For OS 2 X 2 WD Green For Storage

Video Card: Zotac GTX580 1500MB

Ram: Kingston 2000mhz Hyper X

Cpu: AMD Phenom T1090 Black 3.2ghz Constant

Cooling: Corsair H70 Water

Mother Board: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Psu: Corsair 650Wat Modual

:D Does The Job

was wondering if someone ells has tryed defragging windows OS drive with another pc or another windows loaded on your pc.

Yes, I have used Win7 64 Defrag and Defraggler on 32 bit Vista C: drive; that did seem to improve it but the $MFT is still rather heavily fragmented, and I am not sure it really makes much difference to Defraggler, the Other Window's C: is still a mounted NTFS filesystem and live.

Defragging the main OS drive should be 99.9% possible, however access to c:\pagefile.sys isn't because it's always locked.

Booting from another Operating System via hard drive or CD-ROM is useful for access to pagefile.sys because the file is not in use.

I have a hard drive install of BartPE for this very purpose (booting from CD-ROM is too slow for my liking) :)

In addition to BartPE I also occasionally boot into Windows 98SE to run the Microsoft defrag tool - why you might ask??

The Windows API can moves files around at any location however unlike NTFS it's not possible to move fat32 directory entries.

So basically after a while you would end up with less and less contiguous free space and large files start to fragment.

Windows 98SE despite it's age has a better defragging tool for fat32 than XP because it has the ability to move directory entries.

I never understood the logic behind this however the poor support for fat32 was probably a deliberate ploy to kill fat32 in favor of NTFS.

While NTFS has it's advantages it also comes with it's own problems since it's not possible to defrag $MFT even from another Operating System.

Richard S.

I find it does better placement for the long run I did it and haven't defragged in 4 months on my old pc didn't lose one bit of hdd performance.

My Pc :D

Case: Cooler Master HAF 942 Nvidia Edition

HDD: 1 X SSD Now V+ SNVP325-S2/32GB For OS 2 X 2 WD Green For Storage

Video Card: Zotac GTX580 1500MB

Ram: Kingston 2000mhz Hyper X

Cpu: AMD Phenom T1090 Black 3.2ghz Constant

Cooling: Corsair H70 Water

Mother Board: Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5

Psu: Corsair 650Wat Modual

:D Does The Job

I find it does better placement for the long run I did it and haven't defragged in 4 months on my old pc didn't lose one bit of hdd performance.

Wait, wait, wait, man!

What do you mean? Defragged?

Do you mean using Windows defragger, or Defraggler?

Since you like 98SE defragger, have you tried using Win ME defragger in 98?

Or, have you tried simply downloading the Win ME defrag utility & launch it in XP to defrag your drive without having to boot into Bart PE?

Have heard that Win ME defrag util was about 2 times faster, & doesn't complain as badly as 98 does on disk activity.

Let me know!