Does CCleaner really destroy browser info?

JasonQ

Is clearing the cache, cookies, history, etc... in a web browser (e.g. Firefox) any different from doing it in CCleaner? What I mean is: Does CCleaner really erase tracks well like a program such as Tracks Eraser Pro so that they could not be uncovered by undelete programs?

Thanks,

Jason

• Moderators
Is clearing the cache, cookies, history, etc... in a web browser (e.g. Firefox) any different from doing it in CCleaner?  What I mean is:  Does CCleaner really erase tracks well like a program such as Tracks Eraser Pro so that they could not be uncovered by undelete programs?

Thanks,

Jason

Clearing the cache is "about" the same as doing it from the program. It's overwrite the data, it can be covered pretty nicely by programs.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Piriform Forum Moderator

Quick Links: CCleaner Products | CCleaner Documentation | Knowledge Center | Downloads | Lost License Key

• Moderators

No, CCleaner dosen't secure delete the info(writing over it more than one time.)

But I'm going to say this as nicely as I can. Using a program like secure delete is a waste of time. Here is why: Average users will not be able to recover the data. Only knowledgable ones with a lot of time will be able too. Even if you use a program to secure delete the files there are still ways to recover it. Save your money and your time and just use CCleaner to clean up the junk and not secure delete it.

Read my post here if you need a better explenation:

http://forum.CCleaner.com/index.php?showto...t=0entry21566

Is clearing the cache, cookies, history, etc... in a web browser (e.g. Firefox) any different from doing it in CCleaner?

The main difference when cleaning cookies - if you do it from the browser, it will clear all cookies. CCleaner will keep the ones that you have selected to keep (Options, Cookies).