Automatic File Copying

Fluffy

I`m wondering if anyone uses some form of automatic file copying program ,For instance photo`s,music,documents that when created is auto copied to another drive as back up ?

I`ve looked on the net and there are some progams you can download as a trial,but if anyone uses one or recommends one I would be very interested to hear your comments

Cheers

Fluffy

• Moderators

You could use backup software to do it, however what I know of only works on a schedule via Task Scheduler. Of course if the backup software is smart enough it can make incremental backups instead of re-copying stuff that hasn't changed.

One tool I used to use back in the day on Win98 which is unfortunately only Win98 compatible was the freeware TaskZip however there are bound to be some similar freeware tools that work with modern versions of Windows.

You'll find a meriad of backup tools on download sites, such as these on Softpedia.

• Moderators

Not automated but does feature incremental back-ups. I have used it for some years.

http://www.freebyte.com/fbbackup/

They have an add-on called Freebyte Task Scheduler that allows for automation In Freebyte Backup. Also according to the documentation they added command-line parameters for automatic backups back in v2.4.

Although I use a batch file for copying I'm going to give it a whirl, specifically for the incremental backups.

I guess you could use robocopy (Vista/7) or xcopy, using the %DATE% environment variable as folder names.

Something like this:

robocopy "C:\Folder\To\Be\Copied" "X:\Path\To\Backups\%DATE%"

You'd need to change the date format without using / or \ as separators to prevent creation of multiple folders, and set a scheduled task with this command to run daily.

Not the most user-friendly or practical solution, but it doesn't require any additional software.

Piriform French translator

rsync and crontab ? a-hem ? :rolleyes:

Guess I?m hopeless, hee hee. Even use rsync to sync (Windows) files to my USB stick when on the go. (My SDHC memory cards seem to live longer now.)

To sync important files with one of my Linux servers, I use DeltaCopy, with a special cygwin1.dll (sorry, page closed) to ensure filenames get across "just right" (Unicode on Win, UTF-8 on Linux).

Over the years, I?ve tried oh so many different Windows "file sync" programs, but always ruefully came back to good old rsync ?