CCleaner Community Forums

Index.dat latest version

There used to be a separate entry in the results window that stated Index.dat file was deleted. Previously, when Index.dat was deleted and computer rebooted, task manager commit charge was higher indicating something was changed. I don't get this anymore with latest CCleaner version.

• Moderators

I believe that this is because the DAT files are no longer removed but, instead, vaccumed as other products do

Change log:

• Removed need to reboot for Index.dat cleaning.

• Moderators
I believe that this is because the DAT files are no longer removed but, instead, vaccumed as other products do

Hmm, if so it is very subtle.

I reinstalled 3.0 and analysed Index.dat files, and it listed one, Doc and Set/Me/Local Set/Temp Int Files/Content.IE5/Index.dat. Using Recuva with show undeleted files, I found and copied this to a place of safety. I then reinstalled CC 3.1 and the Index.dat analysis returned nothing. I then 'cleaned' the Index.dat files, even though it said there was nothing to clean, and recopied the index.dat file. It was unchanged.

I know that this will be vacuumed up when I run clean temp int files, but at the moment I can not see the way to clean the index.dat files independently.

Oh yes, I analysed History and in both 3.0 and 3.1 the list of index.dat files was the same.

Does CCleaner clean the following index.dat files?

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Feeds Cache\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\Low\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\MSHist012010112920101130\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\Low\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IECompatCache\index.dat

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\History.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies\index.dat

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\IETldCache\index.dat

After using 3.01 and rebooting this is what I get for index.dat. Cookies and Low\History.IE5 looks normal. But TIF\Content.IE5 at 1,015,808 doesn't seem right. Can someone from Piriform chime in here?

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\Cookies

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            65,536 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	65,536 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\History.IE5\MSHist012010112920101130

11/29/2010  08:42 PM            32,768 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	32,768 bytes

Directory of D:\Profiles\IEData\History\Low\History.IE5

11/26/2010  09:49 PM            16,384 index.dat
          	1 File(s)     	16,384 bytes