2010 Top Gear in USA Opener

Icedrake

• Moderators

It will be a spin-off of the UK show with three hosts. I personally can't wait since I'm a TopGear fanatic and enjoy the UK and Australian versions, albeit the original UK version with the chemistry of the hosts is the best in my opinion.

It's about time History Channel/BBC brought it back to the U.S. it's been 5 or 6 years since there was a "TopGear America" and the last one was filmed by TopGear UK and just shown over here, but for a mere one month which was more than enough to get me hooked.

Makes sense to bring it back since TopGear worldwide as a whole is a $1 billion dollar plus commercial entity for the BBC with a cult following of 350 million plus viewers worldwide. Literally the #1 show worldwide!

Isn't it just called Gear? To be honest, I'm from the US and I'm not impressed by the commercials. I'd rather watch the British version, even if they take one too many shots at Americans being fat.

AJ

They are calling it TopGear fully. I don't find the commercials too impressive either, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it is as good as they say it is.

• Moderators

To be true to the original they'll have to use two first rate prats and a good guy (I like James May).

I'm now bracing myself for the fan backlash. I can take it, I just can't take Little and Large in anything more than small doses.

To be true to the original they'll have to use two first rate prats and a good guy (I like James May).

I'm now bracing myself for the fan backlash. I can take it, I just can't take Little and Large in anything more than small doses.

Well this bloody Aussie agrees 100% DennisD, albeit I like the TV program and watch it regularly, mainly to see just what we don't get here in Australia & they are very popular here in Aus.

We also now have an "Aussie" version and have not been able to find (yet) a couple of "Prats", although I would call our "Prat" look-a-likes as "Gooses", I don't believe we have even found a Aussie "James May" yet either (now I to will cop heaps of $^&^%*&&^ for those comments - argh well you only live once).

PS: the Aussie version is not a patch on the original "Top Gear" B)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Being a motorhead I'm just ticked it took me so long to get TopGear!

I got hooked, would watch the TG marathons, good stuff.

edit add- they also ran a piece just recently on TopGear on CBS 60 Minutes.

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

• Moderators

You either like Jeremy Clarkson or you don't (Dennis doesn't!!)

I think Clarkson is brilliant, I also like Hammond, and May as well. The chemistry those guys have is great which is part of what got me hooked on the show the last time they had a "TopGear America." Supposedly the new U.S. version is going to be good, I'm already familiar with probably the primary host Tanner Foust who's a pro racing driver and has had another show on TV before.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched the premiere episode last night, and it was okay. Certainly didn't have the same charm as the guys in Top Gear UK have, but the first test was pretty good and the camera angles were shot decently enough. However, you can't really compare this first episode to the latest episode of TopGear UK, since they have had years to improve. For a first episode, I think it was pretty good and maybe they'll develop the charm and chemistry the TopGear UK guys have.

• Moderators

The guys don't really have any chemistry, the camera shots were shaking all over the place, etc. Using a Viper to attempt to outrun a military attack helicopter, it was bound to fail, and I don't know what they were really trying to prove with that segment. The one and only segment that I somewhat enjoyed was the drag race at the end with the Lamborghini's, however it could've had more excitement to it.

I realize though for a premiere it wasn't all bad, however already having a U.K. and Australian version to compare it against didn't impress me at all, even the still relatively new Australian version squashes it quality-wise. Albeit I'll still watch it every week, until they'll probably cancel it. Actually it was already canceled from another network, and then History Channel saved it from the clutches of death.

Actually the SPEED Channel needs a show like it playing during primetime since they have way too much NASCAR on all the time.

I'm watching the 2010 season opener of Top Gear in America, I though eh, why not give it a try.

Opening test a Viper SRT, top speed 203 mph vs an attack Cobra helicopter gunship, top speed 175 mph in a 10 mile race loop from an airfield across a rural Georgia town and back.

Oh yeah the Cobra had radar missle lock, the Viper a missle radar detector and three chances to get back to the starting point. Well the Cobra got kill 1 before they got off the air strip.

Then, well you've got to see it....... ;)

I love sports, premium cigars, among other things....GO BROWNS, INDIANS (yeah I'm a die hard), BUCKEYES, YSU, NAVY.....and ND.

.....and the Viper has no traction or stability control just 10 cylinders of raw HP.

I always wanted one of those, and the Cobra isn't bad either.

-----------------------------------

AND the celebrity weekly lap car is a $17,000 Suzuki. Astronaut Buzz Aldren is the 1st driver.

The guys don't really have any chemistry, the camera shots were shaking all over the place, etc. Using a Viper to attempt to outrun a military attack helicopter, it was bound to fail, and I don't know what they were really trying to prove with that segment.

Wasn't that a segment when they did a similar thing on the normal show? Except it was Bugatti and a jet fighter?

I didn't watch it - I'm a huge fan of the original show, but I ended up watching The Walking Dead instead.

AJ