ClamWin 'error' removes most of Windows

hazelnut

• Moderators
  • Moderators

I just updated the portable edition, but I don't use it for full system scans - it's just too slow for that.

Hopefully they change the behaviour to not limit the logs to just 1Mbyte for any future disasters. Hence the reason to image the hard disk, since any AV can go loopy with a bad update.

There actually are people using ClamWin as their primary AV solution? If I remember correctly, they still haven't implemented real-time scanning of files...

I keep it up to date for a fallback if others fail. Try it out sometimes, to be sure it works.

FWIW, I always run such scans with a virtualizer running, like Returnil, Time Freeze, or Powershadow. Even with the apps I trust, like Avast!. If something is found, go back with the virtualizer off and fix it.

I know that's the long way around, but it would have saved those poor clamwinners.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

What would've also saved them is to configure it to 'Report Only' instead of 'Move To Quarantine Folder'. At least in the PortableApps.com portable version it's default setting is 'Report Only'. I've never let an antivirus do anything automatically when it comes to on-demand scanning.

• Moderators

Yup I only use clamwin as a portable on my stick for when the nasty doctors download Fake Antivirus' on the Work Tablets :rolleyes: <Grumbles and goes back to nuking a computer back to factory :( >

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com