Can CCleaner be installed in Safe Mode?

LennyTheComputerGuy

The title kind of says it all. I checked the FAQ's and I did a search of the forums and a general Google search and do not see this question answered. So, can CCleaner be installed while a computer is in Safe Mode? In particular, it's an XP-SP3 computer but curious about Vista and W7 also.

Link to authors site removed

Some softwares install and some don't, I haven't tried so far.

http://support.riverdeep.net/techtips_detail.asp?id=147

But the question is, why would you want to do that?

I already know some can and some can't.... I'm trying to find out about CCleaner. If it can't, then I'd rather not try and possibly muck up things. The computer is already mucked up because my friend kept trying things she didn't know about.

The reason why is because I don't want to exit Safe Mode until I'm finished cleaning up some malware but I also want to uninstall some programs and then use CCleaner to clean up all the temp files and registry while in safe mode. Some files that might be resistant to cleaning are more easily cleaned while in safe mode.

Lenny, you could also try the portable version of CCleaner. Just run it in Safe mode from a flash drive.

Here is the link to the portable version....

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

I'm working on this computer remotely so I don't have access to installing a USB drive on it. The person on the other end doesn't have a flash drive either.

That's why I limited my post to "Can CCleaner be installed in Safe Mode?"... that's all I need to find out.

• Moderators

Portable does not require a USB drive, it just means that it's no install and leaves no traces (registry/%appdata%) on the PC. you can extract it to the desktop (or anywhere else) as long as you are in safe mode with networking (in order to download it of course).

However, to answer your direct and good question, I luckily happen to be in a computer currently that is in safe mode.

I downloaded the Installer for the latest CCleaner

and

yes, I was able to both install and uninstall CCleaner.

I hope this answers your query.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com