CCleaner not finding cookies in new Firefox Beta

emacee1701

Hi, since Firefox 4 beta 7 came out this week, CCleaner has not been picking up on cookies stored in Firefox. No cookies are showing in "analysis" or in "cookies to delete." The problem occurs in CCleaner 3.00.1310 (it occurred first in the prior version, so I updated to this most recent version). Mozilla has made a bunch of changes to this new beta version, so they've done something that stops CCleaner from showing cookies, apparently.

• Moderators

Firefox 4 is beta software, it is not common for Piriform to make ccleaner compatible with beta software. I assure you that soon after firefox 4 goes stable ccleaner will be able to clean it.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

While I understand the support-for-beta mentality, Firefox is hugely popular with many users of the 4.0 betas. It's not planned to hit stable until January 2011 at the earliest. Considering the development cycle and user base of FFb4, I think it's worth supporting. Besides, beta 7 is a feature/API freeze milestone according to Mozilla:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/4/Beta

But it is difficult trying to put a collar and lead on a dog intent upon chasing its own tail.

With the same effort a herd of cows could be led to the milking parlour ! !

I have just had a taste of Beta 7 after Beta 6 and was surprised to find CC now has an extra FF session to purge.

Even more astonishing,

F.F. Beta 7 adds TWELVE MEGABYTES OF ZERO INFORMATION in 3 off 4 MB files called

_CACHE_001_

_CACHE_002_

_CACHE_003_

These are all added in the cache folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9ajtpvt8.default\Cache

It is obviously 12 MB of meaningless rubbish because they start life that size when F.F. is launched,

and after 53 minutes browsing their modified time stamp remains equal to the created time stamp of when I launched F.F.,

and since then I have accumulated a further 58 objects with traditional names like B5FEC4C9d01.

Perhaps their purpose is to accept from F.F. at browser shutdown some sort of browsing history for future reuse (with the risk of loss of privacy).

It is a rather bold statement to say a feature freeze is achieved when a brand new bundle of 12 MB is thrown into the mix.

Incidentally, I have just noticed that all the traditional names are exactly "d01" preceded by an 8 digit non-sequential hexadecimal character sequence. Why ?

Alan