Deep scanning estimated 3 days - not moving.

Soren Truelsen

Hello Piriform,

A couple of weeks ago I decided to clean up my PC and used first CCleaner and then Defraggler. I was very happy with both programs. Then - too late - last night I was again in the cleaning mode. To make a long story short, I ?Quick formated? my D-drive (76 Gb) with all my pictures on it - around 7 Gb. (Windows XP is on C). I screamed and turned off the PC. Now, today, I?ve searched for programs to help me and came upon your ?Recuva?.

I?ve tried several things with it.

1) In ?Option?, choosing ?Action? and then ?scan for non-deleted files?. That gives me nothing - and a dialog box that offers me to deep scan

2) Choosing deep scan. It gets to 3% and then stops moving. It?s been running for 6 hours and the estimated time just goes up. I?ve tried to stop it after 3 hours and see what it had found, and there was pictures, just only from the ?windows temp folder? (at least I guess it was from that).

Now my problem is that I can not see progress and if it is working and the dialog at start up say deep scan will take several hours - not days.

Another thing I worry about is the ?output?, I can?t find a place to set ?output directory?, so I am afraid it will mess up the ?fragile D-drive?, before I manage to get my pictures out.

Is there something I can do? Is it normal that it estimates it will take several days?

Desperately yours,

S?ren

• Moderators

Deep scan takes a VERY long time so it's best to just let the scan take place, and yes it'll find many temp folder pictures not much you can do for that :-/

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Just to add to Nergals post, you get the dialogue box allowing you to choose where to save the recovered files when you press "Recover".

Have you tried using the "Restore Folder Structure" setting in the "Actions" tab with the view mode set to "Tree View" in the General tab?

Not much else for now I'm afraid, and I really sympathise with your predicament. Don't use that drive for a while as there may be other suggestions put forward.

Morning Piriform,

It works! I got the movie back where my son learns to ride a bike and my daughter is eating strawbarries. All the pictures from this summer is recovered.

I left it running over the night and recovred about 95% of the pictures, then the second night I recovered about 90% of the movies.

Now, can I somehow donate to Piriform?

Thanks,

S?ren

• Moderators

It seems that the option to make a one-off donation has been removed following the introduction of paid support. I suppose you could buy a year's support, but that's ?20 whereas a one-off tenner would be perhaps more acceptable.