Microsoft Security Essentails as optional Windows Update

hazelnut

• Moderators

Lets see where we go from here

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/microsoft-tempts-antitrust-lawyers-with-expanded-antivirus-offering/2552

I think given the number of folk who still don't run with an av this may just help (if they know where to look)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I think given the number of folk who still don't run with an av this may just help (if they know where to look).

That (if they know where to look) is exactly the point; I don't know any average user who ever checks the optional updates.

Good intentions from Microsoft, but pretty useless!

It should really be the computer manufacturers that must install MSE or other free AV (on preinstalled Windows), but not Symantec trialware! :angry:

• Moderators

It should really be the computer manufacturers that must install MSE or other free AV (on preinstalled Windows), but not Symantec trialware! :angry:

Especially with Norton leaving behind about 500 MB of definition files after it's "uninstalled."

Edit:

I don't see where they're offering MSE as a download, it's only there for updating the definition files which requires Automatic Updates be enabled, or can be updated from Microsoft Update. If MSE isn't installed it will show no updates for it.

Don't think it offers it to XP users Andavari.

Hazelnut, MS Security Essentials is available for XP, Vista & Win 7 - please see: Download MS Security Ess.

I run this on my XP Pro SP3 boxes and my Win 7 32bit test box - all with no issues. (Run AVG with it on 1 unit and Avast with the other as stated last week, although not recommended as pointed out by your kind self).

Last week I downloaded the latest version twice, once from Microsoft and once from CNET (as per link) I was building 2 new boxes for clients, 1 32bit laptop and 1 64bit desktop.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly Tasgandy. (I've edited post above)

I didn't mean MSE wasn't available for XP users, I meant that being offered it via optional Windows Updates wasn't available for XP users.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Sorry if I didn't explain it correctly Tasgandy. (I've edited post above)

I didn't mean MSE wasn't available for XP users, I meant that being offered it via optional Windows Updates wasn't available for XP users.

Hazelnut I think you are saying that once MSE is installed on a XP PC that MS Security Essentials does not form part of the "Normal windows update".....yes you are correct, MSE has it's own "update" process within the application.

Another MSE interesting fact is that as of the 7th of October MSE is available for small business operators (up to and including 10 networked PC's) at no charge, those small business operators interested go to: MSE download

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• Moderators

Tasgandy have a read of the link in my first post and then perhaps you may see what I mean.

It is about it being offered via Windows Updates as an optional, if it detects that you are running without up to date av protection.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Tasgandy have a read of the link in my first post and then perhaps you may see what I mean.

It is about it being offered via Windows Updates as an optional, if it detects that you are running without up to date av protection.

Understood Hazelnut :rolleyes:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy