Drive Wiper

Miroku4444

I got a question about drive wiper. What is the difference between using the wipe free space in the drive wiper .VS the wipe free space under the windows tab? Do they do the same thing??

Also i noticed a graphic mistake in the ccleaner icon. Missing some red here. Looks like it wasn't totally filled in.

CCleaner.jpg

• Moderators

Id rather still have it there, as im staying out of the drive wiper section. If i accidentally hit wipe everything, i would die.

There is 0 chance of that occuring as (even with hide warnings) you must type erase in the box before it will erase everythingpost-21882-041478000 1288309881_thumb.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I, too, second leaving Wipe Free Space as an option under the Cleaner tool. I run the tool silently with a hot-key combination and the /AUTO parameter, and if you remove Wipe Free Space from the cleaner, then I will not be able to securely remove data silently and unattended. Unless there is a way to trigger the new secure wipe from a command parameter...

I, too, second leaving Wipe Free Space as an option under the Cleaner tool. I run the tool silently with a hot-key combination and the /AUTO parameter, and if you remove Wipe Free Space from the cleaner, then I will not be able to securely remove data silently and unattended. Unless there is a way to trigger the new secure wipe from a command parameter...

Maybe you could delete those files securly in the first place? Wiping the entire free space to erase a bunch of files is overkill IMHO.

Piriform French translator

Maybe you could delete those files securly in the first place? Wiping the entire free space to erase a bunch of files is overkill IMHO.

Overkill, quite possibly. Do you have a suggestion for securely deleting in the first place? How does one do that on Windows? All I know how to do is delete and then empty the recycle bin...

I can't get Drive Wiper to work on either my Windows 7 laptop or Vista desktop PC.

Here is what I am trying to do:

On both laptop and PC I have a small partition I created called "Backup and Maintenance" which is where I download and keep all my program exe files as well as drivers and other files relating to my computer. It is this partition on both laptop and PC I am trying to wipe as a test.

I started up CCleaner and chose Tools -> Drive Wiper then

Wipe: Entire Drive

Security: Simple Overwrite (1 pass)

I then click on the appropriate drive and then click "Wipe"

I type the word ERASE as prompted and click OK

A progress bar headed "Formatting" appears very quickly followed by a Windows error box "CCleaner has stopped working" with the usual choice of "Check online for a solution and close the program" or "Close the program". "View problem details" shows the following on my Vista PC:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BEX

Application Name: CCleaner.exe

Application Version: 3.0.0.1303

Application Timestamp: 4cc867bb

Fault Module Name: CCleaner.exe

Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.1303

Fault Module Timestamp: 4cc867bb

Exception Offset: 00047d8e

Exception Code: c000000d

Exception Data: 00000000

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional Information 1: 7d6e

Additional Information 2: a11fa91365189298221a0a41a982033b

Additional Information 3: b121

Additional Information 4: 55b26c2b1c840eace7ba48766d585804

I haven't got access to my laptop at this moment but the details were much the same.

Choosing the Free Space wipe only option in Drive Wiper works perfectly fine.