[bug] CCleaner not cleaning Java cache properly

Hi there,

CCleaner version: v2.36.1233

I would like to report a bug in the Java cache cleaning with CCleaner that has an impact on Java installation. CCleaner deletes the content of the Java cache, but it delete too much (or not enought, that's up to your designers to decide :)). The impact is that Java Web Start applications installed on the computer will not run properly after a cleaning. However application shortcuts are still available. When double-clicking on them, Java Web Start will display an error message "Unable to launch the application".

To reproduce the bug:

1. Install a Java Web Start application (for example http://app.jbbres.com/actions)
  2. Notice the application shortcut on the desktop. When double-clicking, the application run properly.
  3. Run a cleaner with CCleaner. Make sure to select "Sun Java" in the "Applications" tab.
  4. Re-try to launch run the Java Web Start application from the desktop. The application is not running anymore.
  5. The user needs to re-install the application from the editor web site in order to fix the issue

As I was saying, it is up to you to decide if CCleaner should be deleting the desktop and start menu shortcuts, or not deleting the required files to perform properly (I'm more inclined to go for the second solution, mainly because like that my users will stop asking me why there is problem with the application after they run CCleaner :)).

Anyway, keep on the good job.

// JB

app.jbbres.com

• Moderators

You need to find where the java program installs (it's one of the folders labeled in numeric order) and add it to the exclude option of ccleaner. The best way to do this is clean Java in ccleaner, sign on the the java app (i.e. redownload it, don't go to anyother java things) then find the settings file(s) and exclude them in CCleaner options.

i.e. to keep my daytrotter downloader information I exclude

C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\21\63d9cc55*.*
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\31\1e58a71f*.*
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\55\4e9f2df7*.*
C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache\6.0\muffin\5ad1384d*.*

Alternately don't use ccleaner to clean java

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com